Himalayan India


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh » Varanasi
May 30th 2008
Published: June 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Thursday 29 May

04.45am left hotel to go on a boat ride on the Ganges to watch the morning ritual bathing all along the banks of the river. I wouldn't fancy bathing in the water but apparantly scientific tests have shown that water drawn from the Ganges is found to clear itself of any infective organisms within a short period of time which confirms the belief, of the Hindus, that it is a holy river.

We watched the sunrise over the sandbank on the opposite side of the river from Varanasi. This sandbank will be completely submerged within a few weeks after the monsoons.

We strolled back through the narrow back lanes which are like a rabbit warren, passing near the Golden Temple which had armed guards all around it. I am sure it would be easy to get lost here.

Later we went to the weaving district where most of the weaving is done on hand looms in people's homes. There are also machine looms which make quite a racket. The looms are owned by the bosses & the weavers are paid by piece. The work is beautiful, such detail designs & rich colours as well as more subtle shades. We were shown a large selection of materials, saris, shawls, pashminas, scarves & bedspreads all in silk. Russell managed eventually to select several designs to be made into shirts which should be deliverd to our hotel tomorrow evening.

Our afternoon was spent lazing by the pool in the sunshine. It was blissfully quiet after the crowds by the river especially as we were the only guests there.

Friday 30 May

We drove out into the countryside around Varanasi. It is a vaste plain of flat farm land which looks very dry. Some fields have corn or gourds growing but most are lying ready for the monsoons when rice will be planted. Stopping in a village by the Ganges for a walk we were quickly surrrounded by a gaggle of happy children who all wanted their photos taken.

In the afternoon we explored the grounds of the Taj Ganges Hotel which has been built on land surrounding the Nadesar Palace, which was the guest house of the local maharaja . Tjis palace is being restore as a Heritage building.

As it was very hot we appreciated a nice dip in the pool.

See photos in later episode of the travelblog.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0672s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb