Himalayan India


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh » Varanasi
May 29th 2008
Published: May 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday 28 May

Eventually arrived at Varasnasi feeling I needed a good sleep!
Hot & sunny. Car straight to our hotel the Taj Ganges. Nice hotel with spacious gardens & a gorgeous turquoise tiled pool with a pattern of lotus flowers on the bottom in blues & violet. It was just the right temperature - cool enough to refresh you & once in the water seemed to caress the skin after it had been so hot in the sun.

Went to the ghats on the edge of the Ganges this evening to see the evening ceremonies performed by the priests. We went for a boat ride so we could see the whole event from the water & watch the little lights floating down the river. The lights are supposed to take your prayers to Mother Ganga, the river which is worshippedas a god. We sent a floated a light each so hopefully our prayers will come true! The rituals were interesting but I don't care for the seething masses of people especially the beggars, the cripples & elderly, & people trying to sell us things we don't want. It was so busy with people, bikes, tricycle rickshaws, motorbikes, cows, goats & an occassional car, although they were not supposed to go down this road to the river at nights as it is so busy. They are hundreds of shops all along the route. It is interesting to see but hard work.

Must stop now. Will try to add more photos tomorrow.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb