Spiritual Journeys into the Heart Cave. The Journey to Awaken the Heart. Spiritual Pilgrimages to India, the Mountain Arunachala, and the Sri Ramana Maharshi Ashram (Sri Ramanashram in Tiruvannamalai).


Advertisement
Asia » India » Tamil Nadu » Tiruvannamalai
October 5th 2009
Published: December 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Going deep into the space of Unknowing The Heart Cave is dark You cannot find your way with your eyes or your mind The only way you can know is to feel your way through It's within the darkness that we discover who we really are The Heart Cave holds the mystery of the Universe In the Heart Cave we are One Yet with the Open Heart It is still just the Beginning Mind quieting in its Searching Attenti... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Pigs in TrashPigs in Trash
Pigs in Trash

They didn't look unhappy, not knowing anything else. Animals eating plastic causes digestive problems. While it is easy to judge the trash and believe it is easy to keep things clean, it is a difficult task when there is not garbage service or having to pay to have your trash disposed of properly. Thus, this stresses the importance of practicing responsible tourism by not adding to the trash problem... buy as little plastic as you can.
Say, Cheese!Say, Cheese!
Say, Cheese!

I both attracted and was mesmerized by the children during my second trip to India. These ones were in front of their school, and came by the hoards when they saw the camera.
You can't see how cute I am...You can't see how cute I am...
You can't see how cute I am...

It is believed that if a young child's face is blemished with suet and ash, then the evil spirits won't invade their innocent souls. This one wasn't hiding very well, still very cute!
The life of a Cow (young Ox featured)The life of a Cow (young Ox featured)
The life of a Cow (young Ox featured)

Cows are sacred for Hindus. Although, I felt sorry for many of them. The calves are only allowed to drink a little from their mothers, who are tied up out of their reach. The family milks the mother, then lets her out to often graze in the trash or where ever she wants (many times she'll walk or lay down near or in the streets). The calves often look undernourished and long for their mother's return. The calves big brown eyes express so much, but often when they get older they can get mean from neglect (as I experience when walking past some, on more than one occasion).
A MonkeyA Monkey
A Monkey

On top of the Mountain.
Straight Up... and Straight DownStraight Up... and Straight Down
Straight Up... and Straight Down

The trail up to Arunachala can be a bit challenging, as it is a series of rock stairs and small bolders... but the views are worth it, as are the colorful dragon flies swirling by the hundreds if you're lucky.
Discovering a CaveDiscovering a Cave
Discovering a Cave

Getting lost sometimes has its' advantages... I took a wrong turn my first trip in India and landed across this abandoned cave. It was very spacious, and was dedicated to the deity Shiva. I spend some time here enjoying the wind and peacefulness of the mountain. My second trip I tried to find it again... but never did.
Grandma on DutyGrandma on Duty
Grandma on Duty

The sense of family is very important here, and it is common to see extended families living or being near each other. There may not be much money, but they are rich in their relationships.
The Little MonkeyThe Little Monkey
The Little Monkey

She had a large metal harness under her dress attached to a long chain, and waited hopefully for handouts. Once in awhile I would see her owner around, but it appeared that mostly she spend her time alone waiting for someone to come by to interact with her.
My favorite little girlMy favorite little girl
My favorite little girl

She was taking care of her little sister in this photo. Many times she would be seen making prayers to Ramana in the ashram. We became friends and spent time laughing and holding hands with one another. She didn't speak any English, nor did I Tamil, but that didn't seem to matter. I still think of her often and wonder whatever became of her. I looked for her during my second trip, but likely she had moved away with her family.
Bringing Home the MountainBringing Home the Mountain
Bringing Home the Mountain

Both trips, I left the Mountain with a full heart, and an open mind. Ommmmmmm.



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 20; dbt: 0.0228s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb