Mahabalipuram, Tamil Nadu


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Tamil Nadu » Mahabalipuram
May 31st 2008
Published: June 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

I've been back in India for a week and the traveling has already begun 😊 On Saturday afternoon, Homyar and I drove 50km south to Mahabalipuram. Finding the way to a new place is always a challenge in India since there are hardly any street signs. After a few false turns, we found the East Coast Road, which took us straight to Mahabalipuram.

As we approached, the hot, muggy, dusty air of Chennai gave way to cool, refreshing ocean breezes. Little huts and dhabas dotted the roadside, goats and cows grazed in the fields, palm trees swayed in the wind. It's a cute little town along the coast with plenty of beachside resorts and delicious seafood.

Many restaurants and hotels cater to the Western audience ... hotels were named after Santana and Bob Marley and corn flakes were served at the breakfast table. I'm not sure how I feel about that ... Western influence has its positive and negative aspects. The AIDs information center and the German orphanage catering to foreign volunteers are a positive influence ... but there is always a little ache in my heart when I see aspects of foreign cultures creeping into tiny towns.

The stone carvings of Mahabalipuram date as far back as the 6th century! The intricacy of the carvings is just astounding ... the artistry of years past is still alive in the artist communities that thrive in the tiny alleyways at every turn. Mahabalipuram is listed as a World Heritage site and remains renowned for its stone carvings. With all its character and the relaxing sounds of the waves lulling against the shore, this definitely seems like a place we'll be visiting often 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



4th June 2008

Sweet! You're traveling again? Hooray for updates. You'll have to tell me next time you're back in the area :) Safe travels!

Tot: 0.264s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 67; dbt: 0.1759s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb