Goergeous Gangtok


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Sikkim » Gangtok
December 15th 2005
Published: December 19th 2005
Edit Blog Post

The virus of wanderlust attacked hard so had to apply leave and pack the bags to Gorgeous Gangtok - Capital of Sikkim. Going to Gangtok is very different from the usual five star holiday Packages. It is the raw beauty - Untamed beauty. As Gangtok is yet to be connected by railway the best way to reach it is to hire a taxi from Baghdogra Airport or from New Jalpaiguri Station. (Taxi charge was INR 1450 as on 8 Dec 05). My husband was ok with any place as long as i am happy. Such a sweet guy. He retains his sweetness even after seven years of my wedding.... Oops this is not about extolling his virtues but what a swell place this Gangtok is and how to enjoy it better. You need to relish Gangtok like a wine; you need to have it in small sips. So here fasten the seat belts and switch on your imagination to experience Gangtok with me. Sikkim is divided into four regions - East, West, North and South. North is supposed to be mini Switzerland with Yumthang valley covered with complete snow in winters i.e. December to February. West has Pelling another awesome place with Pemayanste monastery, Rabdanste Ruins and a lake. South has remote places. I chose the east as i wanted to experience the Changu Lake and the biggest monastery - Rumket Monastery.

Gangtok was once known for its cheap liquor but now is modernized yet its beauty is not diminished. It has its own charm with the concrete buildings at every bend on the road perched on the mountain precariously dangling from the edge.

I interacted with several people in Gangtok and had glimpse of their life. They have a hard life in mountain yet they are content with their life and are always seen smiling. Youngsters are largely seen the Jeans and jackets. Walking is the preferred mode of transportation and Income from the tourism is their main source of livelihood. Initially Gangtok may just seem a haphazard cluster of building but slowly and steadily it grows on you.

Initially the drivers took us to small hotels which i didn’t like as i am kind of used to the luxuries. Gangtok can give you accommodation which suits your pocket. Finally i settled for a decent hotel Sonam Delek and took a cozy room with a porch and view of the Mt Kanchanjunga. It was 3 pm and sun was out so we couldnt see the mountain and settled for a late brunch. Food there is oily but good. Ate Veg noodles and Soups. The whole trip i tried various soups and it was so refreshing. Hot soup to beat the chill for the others they had brandy to soothe. Next morning when i came out of my hotel room and I saw mesmerizing sight of glittering Mt Kanchanjunga. Awesome it was. Early morning it looks like Orange Mountain. Awesome it is.

In Gangtok, you have several view points like Ganesh Tok, Hanuman Tok, Tashi Point, which enables you to see the mountain on a clear day. Oct to Mid Dec i heard guarantees good view. (Guarantee of climatic condition is one big oxymoron hahahaha). There is Enchey Monastery, Institute of Tibetology, Do Drol Chorten, Some small palace etc. There is also Orchid sanctuary, Flower Shows but you must visit only if you there in spring, otherwise you only have the plants and no flowers ha-ha. All these places we did not visit as i didn’t want to exhaust my husband who preferred to enjoy the comforts of the hotel. I had bigger plans for him and his friend Mr.Sudershan and his wife Padma.

It was very cold on 8 Dec 05' night, as we’re from Hyderabad - Plateau with tropical climate. We felt extremely cold. Had to cover myself four heavy blankets and my night dress was my jeans and jacket. Got up at 7 am the next day and was welcomed by the mountains. We need to get an inner permit to visit Changu Lake; it’s not at all a hassle as the driver got that done for us. We had a heavy breakfast of hot Alu parathas and set off for Changu Lake. Its 40 kms away from Gangtok. We had to drive through the mountains and that is so exhilarating and i promise the adreline rush. At one point we had to get down from the car so that car could move forward. It was that steep. It’s definitely not for the weak hearted.

The valley was the deepest i have ever seen, got to be as the mountain is on the altitude is 3780m, 12400 feet above the sea level. Lake is frozen in winters, one can walk from one end to another however when i went semi frozen. There are healthy yaks and their caretakers’ lures you to take a ride on it. Funniest things was when i got on to Yak, it was keener on another Yak which was going into the Lake. I was scared and screamed at the top of my voice and in turn scaring the Yak. The sound echoes near the lake so we started calling out our names and waited it to resound, it was great fun just abandoning the worries, petty insecurities and being our own true self full of joy. The trek sort of cleanses our soul.

There is Pathway leading to the mountain that you can trek, we got on to climbing mountain, it was the highlight of the entire trip. Had good time crunching the snow and waiting to catch the breath. As i am bulky it was even more challenging. At last the adventurous spirit triumphed over the fats. ( Heheheheh). We reluctantly went back and it was 2.30pm and the clouds were passing from the valley to the sky, it is the sight to behold. It was really an awesome sight. Reluctantly we packed ourselves in the Maruti Van.

Next on the agenda was Rumtek Monastery. It is 24kms away from the drive is like crossing a maze of narrow roads. We were tired and reached there by 4.40pm. It was my first visit to a monastery. When i entered it, saw few monks studying the scriptures. I was extremely disappointed to see an empty throne as i was expecting a Buddha Statue. I went near the throne only to find a huge serene Buddha statue behind it. It sure fills our heart with peace. I sat there for a while with Naresh and enjoyed the bliss.

On the way back to Gangtok from Rumtek, You can see the lights twinkling in every house and the sight looks like a big Christmas Decoration. It was as though the mountain has come alive.
We were so tired that we hogged endlessly and hit the sack.

Next day went to Darjeeling. The entire drive is scenic. It is to be experienced live. The narrowest roads and breathtaking view of Snow clad mountains. Nothing much in Darjeeling. From there we went to Mirik. It is similar to Munnar in Kerela and Ooty in Tamil nadu.
From Mirik went to Kolkatta via Baghdogra.

The highlight of the entire trip is undoubtedly the excursions from Gangtok. It’s truly gorgeous.
There are trekking trips for the trekkers. I believe it is the also the path of nirvana. I recommend Gangtok to one and all. Do not miss the ethereal Changu Lake. Frozen or Not it is a slice of heaven.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb