Triple J and the Holy Rats


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan
February 5th 2010
Published: February 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After Udaipur, our journey through Rajasthan took us through several cities with beautiful old forts and some rural areas with unique temples.

Jodphur, the blue city, had a great fort and palace complex, while the old quarters were awash in various hues of blue. Jaisalmer, the golden city, had yet another fort, but what made it particularly interesting was the fact that a signficant part of the city still lives within the fortified walls in a maze of alleyways. Jaisalmer is also on the edge of the Thar Desert (hence the 'gold') and the jumping off point for camel excursions in the desert (Sylvie couldn't resist another thigh burning, butt crunching ride on a desert beast).

In between we visited some stunning Jain Temples that feature intricately carved white marble and stone, and a temple dedicated to rats. We can't recall what made the rabid rodents so sacred, but we had to remove our shoes (thank god for socks) and negotiate around pigeon droppings to get close to the rats who scurried about everywhere while sniffing the occasional toe. Obviously some of us got closer to the action than others; perhaps we needed more of the whiskery blessings.

Editor's Note: Our apologies for the excessive photos, but we're behind on our homework and need to catch up.


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Jain ServiceJain Service
Jain Service

The photo frown hides the warm hospitality we received when we ate at the Jain Temple canteen. The veggie thali was one of the best we had in India.
Jodphur's Old QuartersJodphur's Old Quarters
Jodphur's Old Quarters

A great place to wander until you're..... blue in the face.
Roof Top ActionRoof Top Action
Roof Top Action

Indian roofs are a great place to cook, play, do laundry, dry dung and....set up guesthouse restaurants.
Rajasthani FootwearRajasthani Footwear
Rajasthani Footwear

For the Imelda in all of us.
Local School TransportLocal School Transport
Local School Transport

We're not sure about the Disney sponsorship.
Jodphur Street FeastJodphur Street Feast
Jodphur Street Feast

Who needs grain fed when there are good scraps close by? Yet another reason to choose the veg option on the menu unless your name starts with D.
Tacky TouristsTacky Tourists
Tacky Tourists

We just can't seem to fit in like the locals.
Dung is KingDung is King
Dung is King

Cow dung is magic material in Rajasthan. It is mixed with wood chips and dried to create cooking fuel, and it is also mixed in with mud and ash to coat the outside of hut walls. Apparently it keeps the bugs away.
Boo!Boo!
Boo!

Not sure if this scares away bugs.
Haveli HavenHaveli Haven
Haveli Haven

Havelis were houses built by the rich merchants/traders. They feature intricately carved stoned fascade and interiors and are now often used for multi-family dwellings.
The Dark KnightThe Dark Knight
The Dark Knight

Other havelis shelter hordes of bats in the dark passageways and stairs. Yes, there were many, many more lurking about.
Water JugsWater Jugs
Water Jugs

Water is obviously an issue in Jaisalmer, so these clay pots were used to carry water from the public taps. They were attached to bikes and sitting on top of heads.
City Kitchen City Kitchen
City Kitchen

This is in a house within the old city of Jaisalmer. The family invited us in for some chai and chatting.
Country KitchenCountry Kitchen
Country Kitchen

This is the kitchen of a mud house in the desert. It was quite unexpected given the simple exterior.


Tot: 0.18s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0519s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb