Rah Rah Rajasthan


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Udaipur
January 29th 2010
Published: February 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Two Cheers for UdaipurTwo Cheers for UdaipurTwo Cheers for Udaipur

Local hipsters working on their Criss-Cross moves.
We left behind the heat, humidity and lush green scenery of the south to visit arid Rajasthan in January. Fortunately the drabness of the countryside was coloured by farmers in their multi-hued turbans and women in saris, while the many cities were decorated with colourful old quarters. Rajasthan is home to many forts and palaces used by the different maharajas during the good old days, and now they're great places to wander around to admire the ornate carvings, beautiful architecture, decadent living quarters and countless tiger hunting trophies, pictures and hides (of course, all done on elephants with a supporting army of men). The maharajas obviously needed some way to show their Raja-manhood.

Our first stop in Rajasthan was Udaipur, the setting for the Bond film "Octopussy". We planned to spend just a few days, but like Bond, we were taken in by the sights and scenery. Bond took care of all the evil-doers, so we just enjoyed a week of food, folks and fun.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Udaipur PalaceUdaipur Palace
Udaipur Palace

Home of Octopussy from the Bond film. Nice digs.
Playing 'Rocks'Playing 'Rocks'
Playing 'Rocks'

Sylvie getting schooled in the local jacks game.
Rajasthani DanceRajasthani Dance
Rajasthani Dance

Women are not allowed to dance in public, therefore the role of women in traditional dancing is taken on by men. Check out his/her pipes.
Rajasthani DancersRajasthani Dancers
Rajasthani Dancers

We're not sure of the role of young boys with fake moustaches.
Bovine BlockageBovine Blockage
Bovine Blockage

The lion may be the king of the jungle, but the cow owns the street.
Easy RiderEasy Rider
Easy Rider

Nothing can get in her way when she's on the saddle.
Barber MaharajaBarber Maharaja
Barber Maharaja

Getting a stylish cut and shave from 1971 Gold Cup award-winning barber in Udaipur.
MasterpieceMasterpiece
Masterpiece

Sylvie with her painting guru at the local art ashram.


Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0627s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb