Delhi then off to Daipur - Exotic Marigold Hotel


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Udaipur
May 19th 2017
Saved: August 31st 2019
Edit Blog Post

One of the main reasons for visiting India, was to visit our good friend Viney. He comes to the hotel and insists we stay in his home. In a few days time he has arranged for us to fly an hour to Udaipur which is a much smaller city with a population of 450,000 and known as the Venice of the East. Our taxi winds through the narrow streets by century old bazaars so we can stop and visit a textile shop. Stacks of rugs made from antique fabrics and woven wire line the shelves. The floors are littered with baskets of overflowing trims.

Through Viney we have been settled in the Trident Hotel that is fit for a king; marble floors, expansive manicured land with peacocks, and incredible staff, one who even brought me a gift while enjoying my breakfast. We wish we could stay a month. Leaving, we are once again presented with a gift. This is our version of the Exotic Marigold Hotel. In fact, Dame Judy Dench visited the Ganesh Emporium where we bought some fabrics while she was near here filming the movie. That said, if you are ever in Daipur, please do yourself an honour and stay at the Trident. You will not regret it.

Having to rush through security, I tell Chris there are two small sculptures I saw back at the airport shops. He goes to the guard and explains what he would like to do. The guard just stares at him and then Chris says "Happy wife, happy life." The man smiles and escorts him back through security and to the store.

Back in New Delhi, the plan is to attend a gala evening with Viney. However, strong winds begin and create a severe sandstorm. Chris watches as a transformer explodes. Fortunately, we decide to stay put, and the following days newspaper article tells about 12 people being killed as 350 trees were uprooted and collapsed onto vehicles.

We both love India and we can certainly thank Viney for ensuring that everything came together as it should. The food, the culture and quite frankly the chaos is invigorating and there is still so much we would like to see that we may just continue with a part 2 of our blog when we visit here again.

At the very least, thank you Viney, you are an excellent host and we hope to see you soon in Canada.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Comments only available on published blogs

26th May 2017

India
Would never have thought this is what India looked like - Udaipur is gorgeous, people look very friendly. Will have to put this on the 'dream list'!

Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.018s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb