Wanderings in India - 5 - Pushkar Camel Fair - Camels for sale!


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Pushkar
November 14th 2013
Published: November 17th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Accommodation - The Royal Jodphur Camp

Weather - Hot & sunny 28C. Cold clear nights 6C

Pushkar surrounds a small lake, believed by Hindus to have been created by Lord Brahma, thus making Pushkar an important pilgrimage centre. There are more than 400 temples and 52 ghats surrounding the lake. Pushkar, however, and the reason we were here, is best known for its Camel Fair. Rural tribal traders of camels, horses and other cattle converge from all over Rajasthan, many walking for days driving their camels across the desert mix with pilgrims arriving from all over India and of course a small number of lucky tourists, magazine photographers and TV camera crews. What an unbelievable spectacle this is - tribal locals in colourful robes and turbans, bartering with each other to obtain the best deal for beautiful Marwari horses and grumpy camels. In the show arena, horses are being ridden back and forth trying to attract buyers, camels are being decorated in colourful garlands for the 'best decorated camel competition', snake charmers, tightrope walkers, food stalls, chai tea sellers and Rajasthani folk musicians all resulting in a cacophony of sound, noise and colour.

In the late afternoon we walk around the tiny thronged streets and alleys, avoiding the occasional wandering cows and oxen, marvelling at the small shops, food stalls, piles of spices and brightly coloured dyes. There are also numerous small shops selling tourist fare - dazzling saris and silk, bags, carpets, bangles and every other thing imaginable - the opportunity to do some souvenir shopping keeps Wandering Alison and the other ladies in the group happy that they have had the opportunity for some retail therapy as there had been murmurings that this had been sadly lacking so far!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



17th November 2013

Amazing
Fantastic pictures and blog, love the tent, enjoy x

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.026s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb