Incredible India: Pushkar camelmarket!!!


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Pushkar
November 2nd 2009
Published: November 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Pushkar, a small city in western Rajasthan was created when Lord Brahma (one of the Hindu gods, the creator actually) dropped a lotus flower from his hand to the earth and at the spots where three of the petals landed, water appeared in the otherwise dry desert area to from three blue lakes (according to the Hindu history). On the banks of the largest of these lakes Brahma gathered 900000 celestial beings- this is why Pushkar and its lakes are one of Indias most sacred places, during a specific full moon phase of october/november the water is believed to cleanse the soul for all impurities. Pilgrims from all over the country gathers in Pushkar to swim in the lake.
Unfortunately, this years pilgrims will experience that the lake is actually dry and without any water. This is not due to lack of rain (even though it has not been raining a lot), but due to some hopeless attempt to make the lake a bit bigger the actual clay layer that keeps the water from entering the soil underneath was removed and the result was that all the water sunk into the soil= no place for the pilgrims to swim anymore... Since
The tent camp!The tent camp!The tent camp!

Our luxury tent! Bathroom with shower and hot water in the middle of the desert!
this is in the middle of the desert there is no way that the lake can be refilled with water for this years festival...
At the same time of this massive religious festival, the villagers arrange a livestock market, where cows, horses, goats and camels are bought and sold. This market has become the largest camel market in the world with approximately 150000 traders, buyers and tourists gathered in the desert.
Since we live in India, we had the opportunity to go to Pushkar for a short visit during the first part of the camel market!



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Camelride!Camelride!
Camelride!

After a long day at the camelmarket we decided to take a cameltaxi back to our camp!
View from above!View from above!
View from above!

In the afternoon we went for a walk to watch the sunset from a temple located on a cliff. An amazing view of the camelmarket and the desert.
Annabelle and WillAnnabelle and Will
Annabelle and Will

At the top of the cliff watching the fantastic sunset!
Monkeys!!Monkeys!!
Monkeys!!

We were not the only ones watching the sunset. However, mummymonkey and babymonkey were also interested in Annabelles bag of chips.
Sweeties 3Sweeties 3
Sweeties 3

They were everywhere! Loads of camels!
Sunrise!Sunrise!
Sunrise!

The following morning we walked up to another temple to watch the sunrise!


Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0485s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb