Picturesque Pushkar


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Pushkar
January 16th 2008
Published: January 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hi to you all from pretty Pushkar,
Hope you are all well, thank you for your messages and sorry it has been a while since the last update.


The journey from Delhi to Agra was brill, first class, air conditioned luxury! Included a 3 course brekkie served at your seat. Will ignore the fact that the train was 3 hours late getting in :-) (There were loads of rats at delhi train station, my worst nightmare-starting to get over my fear a bit though, would of thought it). Stayed in a middle of the road hotel in Agra, overlooked the Taj which was great. We were in the top floor room so it was only a step away to the great view (bathroom was very skanky though!).

The Taj was pretty big but smaller then dean thought it would be! Took us 2 attempts to get in after several metal detector tests (apparently 1 small torch and a pair of headphones are going to make the taj fall down). Amusing, but not at the time as we had to go back to the hotel and nearly pay twice! Dean = in a scuffle to get back in. Looked great at sunset, dont worry Mum got you loads of pics. India at that point had taken its toll out on me and hit a bit of a depressive wall (poverty and mainly seeing the kids/animals in such poor conditions in Delhi had upset me more than I thought). Next day went to see the Agra fort which was nearly as impressive as the taj, was much quieter too.

Next day was the train journey to Jaipur! Got up at 5 to find out that it would be delayed by a mear 4 and a half hours! Train was fully booked so we had lovely seats in sleeper class!!! or not so lovely sleeper class :-) After the initial shock it actually turned out to be ok - met a few really nice people who even gave up there window seat for us (pic). Got a bit of pampering when we got to Jaipur because we decided to splash out on a 12 pound a night lovely hotel (with very friendly staff) and a BATH and tv!!! yaya. (managed to watch the lion the witch and the wardrobe, new 1-how random). Jaipur had its annual kite festival whilst we were there so we decided to have an extra night so we could be there for the last day. Was brill to see all the fireworks and millions of kites up in the air. Was a very special place to be :-) We also hiked up to the hill top to take in the fantastic view. Dean managed to score his first Indian beer-was very strong and was called Godfather 10,000 +, you can imagine how it tasted :-) On the way up a drunken monkey also tried to throw an empty gin bottle at me (pic).... not very photogenic.... and not very sweet like you would think a monkey might be....they go around in gangs terrorising the locals and trying to steal food and anything they can get their mits in. On our last evening we managed to get a seat in the 'revolving restaurant, it sticks out like a sore thumb in Jaipur. This is where we had a great view of all the fireworks on the last night of the festival! Made it worth while considering it was quite a bit more pricey then the other places to eat.

We opted for the coach to Puskar (which of course broke down half way :-) Wasn't delayed too badly though as the local guys are great machanics (we did nearly get gassed in the coach though- whilst they were fixing the engine). Funny watching these 2 americans climb out the window, we walked out the door only 1 minute after!!

Staying at a yoga hotel in Pushka... very nice and cheap. Susan would love it hear :-) Everything is tie-dye and incense-but very authentic. Loads of character and no-where near as much hassle as everywhere else we have been. Its a very holy hindu pilgrimage site.... we love it here. It is definatly the place to come, the sunset view over the lake is amazing (pic). Got another couple of days here before we move down to Udaipur which will be our last stop in Rajasthan. The food is great here, dean is considering having a cooking lesson off the guy who cooks here.... thats after we have gone up the mountain to get the view looking back on ourselves. O there are a lot of camels here too....and even more cows!!!! mooooooo. And they dont move for anything, and eat all the holy flowers made for the lake.

Both still well, no delhi belly yet, only a matter of time though, Dean is trying everything made in the street (his days are numbered i reckon!!) Will update you all when we get to the coast (Mumbai) in a week or so (if not before)....was also hoping to try and call home before then so hopefully speak to you soon.

All our love, Sar and Dean
xxxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0308s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb