ah india!


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Pushkar
January 26th 2007
Published: January 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Julian wrote the last one so i guess its my turn!

We are in Pushkar after a very long drive today from Udipur! Pushkar is a holy city whith 52 Ghats (stair cases that go right into the water) surrounding a beautiful lake. We set out on our first day here excited to see the sights and have a look through a its's famous market. It unfortunately feels like the locals are out numberd by a buch of hippie tourists. Pushkar is the place to come relax drink "special" lassis and be lazy. No wounder it attracts a certin crowd. Its almost in the running with Commercial Dr. and the amount of dreadlocks!
One thing that really puts a damper on things here though are SOME of the holy men. They will track down the "new" tourists and offer them flower petals for good karma. They then will convince them there is a big festival at the lake and its good luck to throw the petals in. Leading you to the lake....pulling out a card confirming there status and pushing you into the arms of one of there friends who will then sit you down, do a little ceremony and throw your petals in the water, after asking for money. Luckly Julian and i were well warned about them and we only got as far as the lake when i was handed off to the priest's buddy. He started his ceremony and i inturrupeted him quite abruptly saying i dident have any money (a lie). He asked if I would come pay him later. I said no. He then told me to get up and leave. Julian did the exact same thing and we quickly learned not to trust anyone! Which is something very hard for us both to get used to.
Leaving the holy scammer men with a terrible taste in our mouths, we decided to replace that with a fresh lime soda! YUM! Think Mojito (soda, lime, sugar and mint) without the rum. The boy running the stand was very kind and gave us some reasons to give Pushkar another shot. We walked through the market, walled with amazing clothing stalls, beads and jewllery only to be bombarded with more holy men trying to hand us more flower petals, and kids pushing me and asking for money. I had just about had enough when we actually found some peace and quiet in a back alley that lead down to a secluded ghat. ahh..peace at last..or so we thought. Another one found us and explained to us that we needed a holy passport (a red string tied around our wrists) and that it was manditory to have one to remain in Pushkar(not true). We were so fed up and had little manners left to be polite but eventually we made it clear we knew what he was after and it wasent good karma!
On the upside we have another day here and a fresh start in the morning. Thanks for all the emails and messages! They certinly make out trip alot more easy when we feel sooooo far away from you!!!
Love Danica and Julian

Advertisement



27th January 2007

Wow, everything seems so hectic there. Where abouts in India is Pushkar; near the north or on the coast? I think you guys have a lot of guts, but I know you've enjoying yoursevles. I'm enjoying reading your entries so far! Stay safe and hope to read some more soon.
31st January 2007

HOWDY partners
hey you know what sucks..i just wrote this long paragraph and then i accidentally closed the window, so i gotta start all over again.....damn computers, can't live with them, can sometimes live without them......basically what i was writing about was how priviledged you first worldians must feel in this country with poverty ubiquitiouse which entails encountering multiple con artists (due to poverty), and an abundance of beggers (compared to Vancouver). You coupled lovers must feel so fortunate to live in a world where survival and comfortability is reasonable to find......and that is why julian should feel obliged to wine and kick and scream, ya till everyone has everything they neheed! BEFORE IT LEAKS TO NORTH AMERICA AHHHHHH (half joking)------- love michael!
2nd February 2007

jealousy
Ah Danica and Julian.... It is so weird to be on the receiving end of the emails....and only having my imagination to conjure up images I'm sure I'm far off in my thoughts of what you're experiencing. It must be amazing....Nothing like Europe! lol I'm so jealous and missing you terribly.....Enjoy it while you can cause next time it will have to be the four of us! Love Chelsea
2nd February 2007

Hi! =)
Holy cow. Sounds like some crazy times going on. You're definatley right in the thick of it, it sounds and i hope that's not destroying the experience. Can't wait to read what you guys have done next. Thinking about ya lots and miss ya too! be safe kids hehe

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0291s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb