The Holy Lake: Pushkar


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Pushkar
December 5th 2006
Published: December 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The Holy LakeThe Holy LakeThe Holy Lake

The place, where they say it all began.
The place where it all began.

Legend has it that Brahma dropped a lotus here and performed the ritual of creating all life here. The lotus was originated from Vishnu’s naval, the legend adds.

But this is not the only legend associated with the lake. What you hear from people and priests about this lake, can be overwhelming, but it’s a place worth vesting for sure. It’s a ‘must visit’ for Hindus who believe in pilgrimage as its known as the Tirth Raj and they say no pilgrimage is complete if you have not visited Pushkar. Surroundings are pretty messy and with people including most of the priests pretty greedy. But as soon as you get close to the lake, the lake mesmerizes you -it mesmerized me- and you tend to forget and forgive. I guess a good priest would be a boon at such places as you can really get your already conceding soul, ‘enlightened’ with a little spiritual nudge at that moment. A good priest is hard to find but I heard there are some, a localite should be able to help you in this regard.

Parikrama of the lake and bath in its holy water
Pind DaanPind DaanPind Daan

You can perform Pind Daan (offering to propitiate or appease dead ancestors) here. Can you see our ancestors in the photo?
is considered to be of great religious and spiritual importance. There are some awe inspiring sages in the vicinity of the lake who are not hard to find. What they do can be hard to digest though. Don’t mess up with them as they can be powerful beyond your imagination. If you cant be respectful or if you don’t have any idea as to what you would say if you come across one, stay away. Some of them possess mysterious powers and most of them are highly moody, so if you are really blessed be ready to get delivered with a few words uttered by a happy one. A saw a few doing things I couldnt understand so I thought I'm better off leaving them alone. May be next time I'll try to be more adventurous.


You should visit the lake if you:

* Have any skin disease.
* Or need to perform the ritual of Pind Daan.


This is what I could gather in my short stay over there.
Information given here, is in no way exhaustive.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Bathing in the lake.Bathing in the lake.
Bathing in the lake.

Parikrama of the lake and bath in its holy water is considered to be of great religious and spiritual importance.
A Sage.A Sage.
A Sage.

There are some awe inspiring sages in the vicinity of the lake who are not hard to find. What they do can be hard to digest though.


Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0605s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb