Agra


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Nawalgarh
October 7th 2008
Published: October 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

VIEW FROM  HOTELVIEW FROM  HOTELVIEW FROM HOTEL

The view from the roof garden of the Taj Plaza hotel

Agra 3/10/2008



Took a motor-rickshaw (tuk-tuk) to New Delhi Station and took the 11.30 am train to Agra. Journey fine in A2 which means an air-conditioned carriage and 2 people to a seat with a bed above. Met some nice Indian ladies who were off to see relatives in Agra and were quite surprised when one of them hopped on the bed above and slept most of the way. So David and I got out the pillows and I managed to put my feet up and doze most of the way.

Got a pre-paid taxi in a brand new a/c Renault with Mr Ali-baba and his driver who offerred to take us on a day-trip around Agra for 600 rupees, next day. As we were only staying one night seemed like a good idea. He insisted we start at the Taj Mahal at 7am and reluctantly we agreed to the early start and went into our hotel feeling pretty hot and tired. The temperature is somewhere between 35C and 40C but VERY humid.

The Hotel Taj Plaza has seen better days but is in the process of renovation and has the most wonderful position being within walking
Street near the Taj gateStreet near the Taj gateStreet near the Taj gate

All life is here
distance of the Taj with a roof-top terrace view to die for. Next door is the Oberoi Amarvilas with charges 50 times what we are paying and we were told that you pay extra to have a view of the Taj with magnifying glass in the windows to make it appear closer ......WHAT?????

We had a really enjoyable chat with our roof-top restaurant (closed) manager who was really well educated and gave us the best explanation of Hindhu philosophy that we have ever heard. Think he was glad of the company!!!

Walked down to the Taj which we knew was closed, it being Friday. Really nice walk down about half a kilometre as all cars and polluting vehicles are banned for 1 kilometre around the Taj. Walked around the walls to the river to get a view from the back of the walls and then back up to the other side of the walls. Seems we were lulled into a false sense of security thinking that Agra was a clean modern city (wrong).

Life here was something to behold, open sewers, flies, filth and poverty. There was a fairground on a tiny scrap of a mudheap but
Street FunfairStreet FunfairStreet Funfair

All the children want is for you to take their photo
the kids were having a wonderful time on swingboats and other such hairy rides. They just love having their photo's taken, young and old and only want to see themsleves on the screen. Some want chocolate or chips but most just want to pose.

Rock hard beds and an early start meant that neither of us slept too well!!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0724s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb