Delhi delight


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » Delhi
October 2nd 2008
Published: October 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Eid MubarakEid MubarakEid Mubarak

and Happy Gandhi Day. Crowds out celebrating.

Day 2 Delhi 2nd October 2008



When not to spend a day sightseeing in Delhi.

Today is both Eid and Gandhi Day and Delhi is full to the brim with families out celebrating, visiting the Jama Masjid Mosque and the Red Fort, the funfair and the markets, though most of the shops in the Muslim quarter were shut. Not the best day, crowds wise, but great to see, I now understand why our Asian families in Brum celebrate in this way.

We know that it isn't a great idea to be in big crowds but we had no option today!! but security is quite tight on the Metro and the Red Fort, thanks goodness. As a foreigner you pay extra to go into places but the queues are much shorter or they call you on to the front of a queue which I do find a bit embarrassing really.

We have had our fair share of hassle and cons but on the whole not too bad and we have to say that on balance more people have been helpful than not. We fell for the 'I'll just tell you about my mosque" routine. 'That'll be 400
Jama MasjidJama MasjidJama Masjid

Take a guided tour.
Rupees please'. Beat him down to 300 though David thought 200 was too much! but I'm a soft touch!!!

Will eat in at the hotel again tonight. Food very reasonable and quite good really. Nice to sit out on the roof garden watching the Indian Eagles. Hundreds of them all around, an amazing sight in a city and such a wonderful call.

It is so hot and humid that we probably haven't done justice to Delhi really but we have to pace ourselves at our age!!! Off to Agra on the train tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Dining on the roofDining on the roof
Dining on the roof

Jhoti Mahal Roof Top Restaurant


Tot: 0.184s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0931s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb