Jodhpur day 2


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jodhpur
March 14th 2013
Published: March 14th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Jodphur day 2
We were woken in the night by the screeching of peacocks but it didn't last long however we both woke early and decided to take a walk around the gardens. As we strolled we saw monkeys playing in the trees and peacocks strutting their stuff on the lawns. An Aussie lady was out walking and we all appreciated the coolness of the morning. We walked up the peacock stairs to the lake and the palace, small squirrels were scampering around and one very large one ran under the bridge. Eventually we made our way to breakfast and were served breakfast, no buffet! We left the hotel and Singh our new guide took us to Mehrangarh fort. This dominates the town being set high on a hill and is still maintained by the Maharajah. It is the biggest and best preserved fort in Rajasthan. As with all the other forts we have seen it is made of red sandstone but with many marble features inside. There is considerable decoration and one room was just full of glass and mirrors. The walls outside went on for 14km. We were encouraged to purchase something from the shop as this would help with the upkeep of the palace and of course there was the artist painting miniatures! From here we went to the white marble building called Jaswant Thada a memorial to Maharaja Jaswant Singh 11 and built in 1899. Such beautiful buildings, we can but wonder what happened to all that skill when you look at the shops and streets of Jodhpur. We drove to the market and there are the remains of many beautiful buildings but now corrugated iron or wood or straw or plastic coca cola sign awnings decorate them and garages turned into shops are next to them. Litter is everywhere as ladies in beautiful colourful sari's barter and sell. Cars, bikes, motorcycles, tuk-tuks, and people all share the same road. The noise and smells and sights can be compared to Marrakech but somehow that seemed more organised and cleaner. We went to a shop suggested by our guide (we wondered what he got from this) and was shown several fabrics and articles made locally and made for export. The prices seemed good and we spent some well earned money but quite enjoyed it, these Indians can sell. From here we walked to the famous clock tower and then to the spice shop and parted with more pension. Lunch was next on the agenda and was in delightful open air surroundings but that meant leaves fell on us every time the wind blew. A delightful leafy lunch and we were off in a jeep to the countryside to see 'wild animals' and country life. We stopped at one farm where the old guy made some opium water used for illness and Steve drank some as did our guide but it was us that parted with our cash. Our guide was given some plums that he thoroughly enjoyed. Leaving here we saw some small antelope and black antelope that was about as wild as it gets unless you include Steve when we were taken to yet another carpet factory. We both smiled appreciated everything and said thank you but no thankyou! We returned to our haven of rest and tranquility, swam, and walked and read until the sun went down. Steve went for a walk around the lake and I read. Steve was given a tour of the palace what a treat I missed out on. We woke this morning to the sound of birds and walked in the extensive gardens, Balsamand Garden Retreat, where the Maharaja has his summer palace is truly the perfect place to stay in Jodhpur.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Part of the fortPart of the fort
Part of the fort

Looks similar to the one at Shimla
This looks so much like a Laura AshleyThis looks so much like a Laura Ashley
This looks so much like a Laura Ashley

But it's from the 17th century
Mirrors and lightsMirrors and lights
Mirrors and lights

Such a beautiful room in the Palace where the Maharajah entertained


Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0656s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb