Jaipur to Jodhpur


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jodhpur
March 14th 2013
Published: March 14th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Jaipur to Jodhpur
We left the hotel and drove through the old city where we saw people sweeping the streets and collecting rubbish, it all looked very tidy but the shops were run down and despite its pink colour it could all do with a face lift. We continued on to the new city and there is considerable evidence that this is a thriving modern place with the new metro being built, shopping malls, and modern buildings. The houses have fences and pavements that can be walked on. It's very obvious that the impressions we had from the area our hotel was in do not marry with the rest of Jaipur. Had our hotel been in the new city we may have ventured out more. In the newspaper we read about the disrespect shown to women, it seems as if it is not safe to go out alone.The road to Jodhpur after leaving the town is very fast and a major highway. The land is very flat either side and the central reservation is planted with Bougainvillea and trees line the road. Even on this well made 3 lane motorway the traffic has no real rules and people overtake and drive in any lane they want.We stopped for lunch and it wasn't bad but not that good either, surroundings were nice, lovely wicker chair and tents, family run business, but I had malai kofta before and although this was tasty enough the portion size was stingy.The road wasn't so good now having come off the motorway and there were potholes and loads of lorries and a procession taking place and markets so the going was slow. We eventually arrived at our hotel or should we say palace at about 4pm. Our accommodation was a converted stable in grounds of 60 acres and was used as a summer palace by the Royal Maharajah. We wandered through the grounds, swimming pool, huge lake, stables for horses, and acres of garden. Peacocks and hens wandered freely about and then a group of black faced monkeys came on to the lawn. There was a board that displayed about 60 birds that could be found in the garden, a real paradise, except for one thing no WIFI! They do have chargeable Internet but we have to go to the business centre. After a swim sunbathe and shower we walked on to the lawns where they were preparing a barbecue and we sat and drank a G&T whilst the sun set and I got bitten by mosquitos. The peacocks do make a great noise, feels like we are in an aviary. As the sun faded rapidly the lights around the lawns came on, it was beautiful. After a very hot day sitting in the car, ok the air con did work , the weather cooled off in the early evening to a delicious temperature. This is exotic India..


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 30; dbt: 0.1078s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb