Souks, Sand & Camels


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jodhpur
December 31st 2005
Published: December 31st 2005
Edit Blog Post

Happy New Year!!

It is 3:15 and lunch has been eaten at a Lebonese Bakery. Breakfast has been a lovely buffet at the Ibis Hotel, a known chain from Europe and no disappointment as far as value, service and cleanliness goes.

I am presently in a Surf'n'Eat in Style C@fe net. The whole enterprise consisting of twenty glasstop tables with a rolling keyboard tray and a computer under each glass sheet. One hour costs 5dirhams; 2hrs 8dirhams. We get 4 dirhams per $. Not a bad deal!


The plane was so delayed that we did not arrive at the hotel until 02:30. It was already Dec29. The plane ride from Frankfurt was especially luxurious as compared to the dirty conditions and sad food presenttions of Air Canada.

On the first day we took the Big Bus all around Dubai. For 140AEU we were able to hop on and off the bus at certain stops. The visit to the Dubai Museum was included. Well thought out tabloids were presented showing the activities and history of Dubai.
A 00.50AEU ride across the Creek in a water taxi brought us to the spice and gold souk .... after much wandering around thru garments, suitcases, housewares, mosques, and sundry other commercial outlets I bought some myrhe, cardammon, and cinnamon. Tasted chocolate nuggets and pistachios. Bought a scarf and after finding the toilet in the Gold Building went to a hole in the wall for a refreshing drink. I ordered chinook ...beige and sandy and very sweet.
More rides on the water taxi and information about the dohws that ply the gulf and the ocean with all types of goods and we were back on the BIG BUS for the rest of the ride. Since it was almost five we decided to take the blue route. This involved driving past all of the sumptuous hotels particilarly Burj al Arab for which I could not get a reservation..not even for breakfast or tea at ten o'clock.
Since this was the main reason for coming to Dubai I must say I am more than disappointed. After driving through massive amounts of constuction we got off at the City Centre Mall, had a lovely dinner and caught the shuttle back to the hotel. At this City centre we used the ladies powder room for 5AEU. Here women come to say their prayers. Cubicles with toilet, bidet and cloths are available for ablution. Even though I did not use the small carpets provided I did my body a favour and cleaned everything I could, making me feel great for the rest of the day. Next time I will say prayers too!!


End of the first day on four hours sleep!

THe morning of the second day was spent at another shopping mall ...the Mercator... and lunch at the beach. We bought the food in a supermarket where all manner of things were for sale. It even has a Pork Shop for non-muslims tucked away in the back section. I bought mangosteens which are a most lovely fruit with a similar texture to lichee but much more flavourful! They were not cheap either!!

Yesterday afternoon and evening were spent in Desert Safari activities. The "bedouin" driver took us (six people; two couples we met at the hotel) out of the city and to a meeting spot where 50 other 4x4's with seven people each were waiting. Now it must be mentioned this was Friday night in Dubai.

The desert was full of people ... all there to enjoy the pleasures of the dunes in 4x4's, on all terrain vehicles, strangely enough called dunebuggies and on foot. Because Friday here is like Sunday families and groups of friends were out in full force. Many came with the buggies on trailers, other even small eight year old boys drove around on rented buggies. The dune buggy boys were quite the show-offs!!

After experienceing the dunes in roller-coaster fashion we stopped to experience the sunset on the dessert. Just our luck it was overcast and we saw only some streams of light but no proper sunset.

After the drive out of the desert all vehicles stopped at a portable air pressure tank to fill up the tires that had been deflated for easier sand negotiation.

Then we were off to a camp that has been specially set up for safari guests. Arabian coffee, little donut balls, henna patterning, camel rides, trying on of traditional dress, water pipe smoking, falcon handling, belly dancing with audience participation and a magnificent buffet were ready for us when we arrived with our driver and the other 49 4X4's.

Long tables with decorative cloths had been set up on carpets. We sat on heavy cushions. There was plenty of time to wander around in the sand and then after the belly dancing 350 people were called to form 6 lines at the 3 buffet tables. And it worked. Everyone received one plate of food consisting of 3 types of salad, hummus, flat bread, rice, 3kinds of stew, two skewers of meat and one mutton chop and a slice of potato in aluminum foil. Drinks were available to all ...nescafe, tea, water, sodas.... alcohol cost money. The whole excursuion cost 220AEU and worth every cent .. dirham! The only downer was the fact that so much garbage has bee dropped by the people vivitning the desert! One would think more care would be taken especially since all the drivers and many guests prefered to walk barefoot in the sand.!!!

I had a ride on the camel. It was not flea bitten and it did not smell. The driver did tell me I had to sit at the back. He spread his hands out to let me know the camel did not like the weight in the front. I took it in stride, swung my leg off the front saddle and proceeded to mount the back seat.
The seat was soft and the handle for holding on was not too thick for my short fingers. It must be stated that once this camel got up on its feet it was VERY high off the ground. I held on very tightly and squeezed my legs into the sides of this creature. There was a definite sensation of going over forwards when the camel got to its feet and a much more exaggerated rolling once it knelt back down. It was a most comfortable ride. Our driver told me that the 4X4 has taken the place of the camel. We did see camel farms along the way out of the city. These camels will be used for camel racing another event which takes place on Thursday and Friday.

After the meal we were once more treated to a newly costumed belly dance. At this point our group of six decided to find the driver and return to the hotel.

The highway has not one pothole, not one irregularity, is well lit and the maximum speed is 140k. I am sure that was what the driver told me.

It was not difficult to fall asleep after such a strenuous time in the desert. Washing the sand out of skin and hair took some time.

e have booked out of the hotel; are on our way to the Heritage Village to participate in more adventures and will take off at 05:15 for Delhi.

I am hoping to sleep in the lobby or at the airport ...will definitely sleep on the plane.



Again Happy 2006... I celebrated this nine hours before you ...feel like the people watching 2000 roll in starting at the International Dateline.


take care Barbara 😊



Advertisement



2nd January 2006

Delighted
Am I ever glad Russel hooked me up with your site. I'm having great fun reading it.
4th January 2006

Happy Holiday
I am enjoying your journals... thank you for sharing your journey with me. Are you taking photos? If so, I would enjoy seeing them. Happy and healthy new year!
6th January 2006

please respond!!!!
What company did you do the overnite safari with??? i am looking to go there in the next couple of weeks - please lemme know!!! (raubeela@uwo.ca) Thanks!

Tot: 0.587s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 57; dbt: 0.2116s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb