The Story So Far


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jodhpur
December 17th 2005
Published: January 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

New DelhiNew DelhiNew Delhi

our first wake up call in India
We are now in the 6th week of our travels and we have packed so much in.

We've been enthusiastically welcomed, harrassed, scammed, amazed and enthralled by the sights we've seen, ecstatically happy, chilled out, constantly stared at and stressed in India; felt like we were in a European holiday resort in Bangkok; had aching limbs after trekking in the jungles in Chiang Mai (Thailand) for 3 days; and feel we are somewhat experts in Thai cooking after an intensive 3 day cooking course, also in Chiang Mai.

India highs:
Golden Temple in Amritsar in the Punjab
amazing work ethic - very humbling

India lows:
people trying to constantly scam you
seeing graffiti on the Taj Mahal

Thailand highs:
Trekking in the jungle with a fantastic group of people and a brilliant guide named Coco
Learning to cook Thai food
Friendly and helpful people

Thailand lows:
It rained quite a bit!


We are currently in Laos in a town called Vang Viang which is actually a very strange place. Before arriving here we travelled by slow boat from Chiang Kong, Thailand to Luang Prabang in Laos. The journey took 2 days and was somewhat uncomfortable but great fun and the landscapes were amazing.

Luang Prabang was a beautiful city. Very small - you could cycle round it in a couple of hours with a bit of sightseeing thrown in - but plenty of things to do and plenty of cafes to laze away the day in. A very relaxed and welcoming place which we would love to return to if we got the chance. The food was fantastic - both the local and the French inspired food was of very high quality and it was very difficult not to be eating constantly throughout the day. The Laos coffee is amazing - no matter how much milk you put in, it doesn't change colour!

Back to Vang Vieng. We arrived here 2 days ago and are ready to leave. The highlight here, is tubing down the river for 4 hours and stopping off for Lao beer at the many bars along the river bank. We did that yesterday and it was great fun. The weather was roasting and it felt rather surreal floating by the volcanic landscape in a rubber ring. The town itself is nothing to write home about.

We shall be moving on to the capital, Vientiene tomorrow and try to decide from there where to spend Christmas - visiting the sights of Hanoi and Northern Vietnam or on the beach in Southern Vietnam - decisions decisions!




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

AmritsarAmritsar
Amritsar

Francis and Brij who we met in a very English looking pub
Chiang MaiChiang Mai
Chiang Mai

Mathew feeling the strain
TrekkingTrekking
Trekking

elephant trekking
Chiang MaiChiang Mai
Chiang Mai

who's protecting who?


17th December 2005

fabulous to read about your thoughts on Lao. Sarah and I are currently in Louang Namtha. Very very sleepy.
17th December 2005

Fantastic!
Love the comparative scales. The elephant trail, then the policeman in Chiang Mai - superb! Can't wait to see more pics like this - have a wonderful Christmas, relaxing on a beach, perhaps, feasting on chilli crab.
17th December 2005

the Golden Temple
..also loooks great, with Alex 'gone native', lol!
19th December 2005

Vang Vien
I spent a week in Vang Vien too. cant remember much of it though cos I was constantly stoned off my tits. Do remember that it seemed to take ages for food to get served. Happy Xmas.
20th December 2005

get to the gym
don't know who looks more knackered....mat or the elephant!!
22nd December 2005

chiang mai looks like concrete lab with full PPE have a good christmas all the best.
4th July 2006

chiang mai
dont argue with the policeman mat, he's got bigger boots on than you

Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 68; dbt: 0.066s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb