Osian, India


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jodhpur
February 26th 2008
Published: March 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Camel CampCamel CampCamel Camp

5 Star tenting !!
Feb 26, 2008

Osian- The Camel Camp.

We enjoyed a very nice breakfast with the sun coming up over the sand dunes before embarking on our 3 hour camel ride through the desert and back through a small farming area and local village. 3 hours was enough. We enjoyed the ride and the countryside but believe me 3 hours on a camel is enough. We enjoyed a stop at a small farm to water the camels and we had a chance to visit a local farm house and the desert houses the people live in. The locals seem very happy with a few goats, sheep and some small plots of vegetables and millet.

The government is trying to improve the water supply to these villagers with more wells and closer access as some carry water 2 KM every day. Most of India has been in a drought situation with no major monsoons for the last 4 or 5 years. Water levels are critical in most of the country.

This was a very good and very interesting adventure and one that everyone should try at least once.

We returned to the camp by jeep ( a very old jeep ) for lunch and some relaxing at the pool and then visited the small city of Osian to tour a Hindu and a Jain temple.

This evening we enjoyed some more local music and dancing before supper and retired early to the tent.

We would recommend “ The Camel Camp “ as it is an interesting change from the usual hotels. We were treated royally here with very good service, good food and very good accommodation considering it’s a tent. The Camel Camp has room for about 450 people so this is not a small resort.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Grain fieldsGrain fields
Grain fields

Amazing what a little water will do.


Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0457s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb