A rant about indian post system, an Indian wedding and a change of plan....


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jodhpur
March 1st 2007
Published: March 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

am absolutely fuming!!!! have had a parcel opened and my chocolate eggs and cereal bars taken out! this was a while back and then i went to the post office and actually stood in the mail room (where we weren't sposed to be) and watched out of the corner of my eye this man open the corner of a package ad then as soon as he realised i was watching him quickly stopped! it annoyed me so so so much and have now just found out that my mum has sent two which haven't arrived and my friends have sent parcels and letters aswell which also haven't arrived yet ...so annoying! I suppose its better than nathalie who hasn't received anything since she has been here not even a letter. why would anyone want a letter? anyway sorry will stop ranting now.

A few nights ago went to a wedding that we were invited to in the village was so so so lovely, so colourful and beautiful. The bride was dressed in pink and gold and had a huge ring through her nose stretching across her face. It was quite cold so we didnt wear sari's (although we did a few nights before for a bank dinner - it was lovely getting ready putting on makeup etc for once!) but we cam ein skirts and the food was gorgeous and the marque was pink and yellow and a lot of the children fromthe school were there. At first we were quite stared at but then people got used to it and dragged us onto the dancefloor. it was so so so embarrassing at first but soon we just got into it and danced all night it was brillant! They played La Gasolina (a spanish song which is played in Cuba continuously) and seemed to think it was american?!?anyway they played it about 20 times.....ahh but it was brillant!

Mum isn't going to come in the end, we are going to leave the school earlier on the 20th of march and then travel for a month down to goa and kerala then hopefully agra and maybe jaipur and then home on the 20th of april if all works out! It means i can actually look around my prospective uni's instead of just diving in blindly because otherwise i was going to make the decision (the deadline is 3rd may) without seeing them! relief!

i'll be really really sad to leave our life here - very excited to go travelling but all the friends we've made, experiences we've had, people we've met , places we've seen this mini - life we've carved out for ourselves - it's going to be sad to leave behind not knowing when i'll be back...if ever.

yesterday we were walking to the cart in the village to buy vegetable sin the pouring rain when we noticed a sign that said fresh mushrooms. There was no one there and only when we walked away did someone say hello?! we said we wanted mushrooms and he explained that they had to be freshly picked as all the prebagged ones had just been sold and while they were being picked he gave us a tour of his mushroom farm, chatted with us, we met his dogs and he invited us to go for tea on holi and so on saturday we will go and say hello.

saturday is holi and we are going to toral and suraj's for a bonfire with the boys and other gaps where they will tell us the back story behind holi etc... then on sundays its playtime....! everyone everyone throws coloured powder at you and each other whether they know you or not! going to be very very fun!!! providing it stops raining! the whether has been miserable here for ages!!! hopefully its sunny in GOa! only 20 days to go!! yaaay! love to all xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Advertisement



1st March 2007

its all an experience!
when you get home you will probably appreciate the english post system more. This time i've sent a letter printed matter so there is no customs sticker so hopefully they won't open it.You have a postcard waiting from lottie here. The wedding sounded fun,and Holi sounds like being another party. Not long now and you can see more of India and sample some more experiences.Take care keep writing love mx
1st March 2007

Skiing in Val D,Isere
It is snowing here lots Gwenno and I are staying in a very nice Scott Dunn chalet Wish you were here Miss you lots and lots xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0551s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb