Rajasthan 2010 - Day-2: Jaisalmer - The Golden City


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaisalmer
November 4th 2010
Published: September 19th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Jaisalmer


The Golden CityThe Golden CityThe Golden City

View from our room
We left Kiradu around 6pm and reached Jaisalmer around 8pm. We already had our reservation at Hotel Raj Mandir, which is located ON the walls of the fort.

Jaisalmer is the only live-in fort in India. The life inside the fort is amazing – narrow streets, colorful shops, numerous eating joints, and a few touristy places. We selected a hotel inside the fort to have some ‘heritage’ feel. Our small hotel has only 6 rooms and a roof-top dining area, but the views from the room and the roof-top are breath-taking! (The above sunrise panorama was taken from the room.)

Date: 4-Nov-2010

Next morning, we woke up around 8, got ready, had our breakfast at the hotel, and left for sight-seeing around 10am. The owner of the hotel had made arrangements for the guide. I would suggest making these arrangements through someone local or somebody’s reference.

We visited the places inside the fort during the first half of the day, had our lunch at a restaurant suggested by our guide, and returned to the hotel to rest for a while. We left again around 5pm and visited the Gadsisar Lake and reached Bada Baug in time for the sunset. Bada Baug has an amazing feel! We visited a Ganesh temple in the area before reaching our hotel at night.

Date: 5-Nov-2010

The following day was more relaxed. We had our reservations at a desert camp in Sam Sand Dunes. We had decided to reach our camp for the camel-safari around 4pm. Post breakfast, we walked around the fort area and visited the Rajmahal. We did some window shopping before saying good-bye to the beautiful fort.

When to visit?
Winter Months! However, I would avoid Christmas/New Year. We were there during Diwali and it was not over-crowded.

Where to Stay:
There are a number of options inside and outside the fort. Our small Rajmandir Hotel was on the fort walls and had amazing view of the Jaisalmer City and was facing east. Check out the reviews of these hotels on Trip Advisor or any other reliable website. Don't just go by the name!

How to reach there?
There is a railway station in Jaisalmer that connects to Jodhpur and Jaipur, which are major railway junctions. We drove from Ahmedabad to Jaisalmer and the road was perfect! There are limited services available along the
Jaisalmer FortJaisalmer FortJaisalmer Fort

Internal Streets
road once you leave Gujarat - make a point to fill up gas and grab food!


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Jaisalmer FortJaisalmer Fort
Jaisalmer Fort

Internal Streets
The DoorThe Door
The Door

Inside the Jaisalmer Fort


Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb