JAISALMER AND KHURI. GATES TO THE DESERT.


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaisalmer
January 3rd 2008
Published: January 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Namaste! sorry but the blog took a back seat a bit as we've been lost in the desert of Rajastan where it was difficult to do computer things. We were in a little village called Khuri, not far from the desert fort of Jaisalmer which is near the border with of Pakistan in the desert of Thar. The fort has incredible Jain temples, which is a minority religion in India of non violence, a bit like Buddhism and Hinduism. Beautiful sculptures! We spent Christmas on the dunes around Khuri, a simple desert village. We did a camel safari which the boys loved, though it must be said that camels stink and it kills the arse! Unforgettable experience, lost in the desert with the quiet and the wind, very rare for India. We stayed in mud and cow dung rubbed huts with raggeddy wooden thatch roofs, of course the boys loved it! Arjun's family was known to zia from her visit here 3 years ago, she even brought back photos from that time for the family who needless to say were over the moon, so our good welcome was assured. Lovely family, open hearted and kind. We played alot of cricket with the kids and made some good friends. Ah India! We love you!

After Christmas we went back to Pushkar on another funky sleeper bus which dropped us in a ghost town at 2 in the morning. Back to Radhika Palace where two rooms awaited us and celebrations for the new year with Narendra and the Nagara drummers. Big fire, wicked music, dodgy food! And fireworks for midnight which the boys did with the manager Vikki. (Sadhu nearly set fire to the field behind the guest house!)

Back to Jaipur today, the pink city, to get our train south to Gokarna in North Karnataka. 2 days on the train, which means lots of time for the boys to do their homework! All the studies are going well, i take my hat of the boys for their efforts.

We wish you all a happy New Year, may it be the best ever for you. lots of love from us all. Hare OM Hare OM.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb