Jaipur - The Pink City


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaipur
June 17th 2011
Published: June 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

It's been surprisingly easy to make the time switch here, considering Rajasthan is exactly 12.5 hours ahead of California time. It's usually meant that we wake up at about 5 am every day, but recently we've been able to sleep in. If you've wondered what time it is for us here, just take your time, flip the sun, and add one episode of Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

The rains still haven't come, and the heat hasn't relented at all. Ammaron drinks about 100 oz. of water a day, and only uses the restroom once or twice a day; crazy hot weather.

Jaipur is the capital of the state of Rajasthan. We arrived in Jaipur in the middle of a dust storm and arrived at our homestay covered in sweat and dirt. In Jaipur we stayed in an awesome homestay run by Shveta and her husband, who showed us true Indian hospitality. Shortly after our arrival, Shveta's husband took us for our first real Indian lassi at the famous Lassiwallah. Lassis are thick, sweet yogurt drinks. They're served in hand-made clay cups and we were totally shocked when we trashed the clay cups at the end.

Jaipur is famous for the Amber Fort, which was home to the ruling Maharaja. The Amber fort is surrounded by an absolutely stunning wall running up and down the hills for 12km around the fort. In all of the forts we've visited, the royal wives and concubines practiced the custom of purdah, which requires them to stay hidden from males while they are guarded by eunichs. Women sat behind intricately carved screens to watch performances and other palace business. There were even markets within the fort just for women.

We've been eating such delicious and colorful food in India that we decided to take a cooking class at our homestay and can now call ourselves masters of Indian cuisine. Well, not quite yet, but we're getting there.

The beer, King Fisher, is pretty mediocre, but last night we found India's other favorite, Indu Pride; much better.

For no reason whatsoever, here's a list of the animals that we have seen so far, at petting distance:

Dogs
Cats
Cows
Sheep
Goats
Lizards
Mice
Bats
Camels
Peacocks
Monkeys
Pigs
Horses
Elephants
Squirrels


Additional photos below
Photos: 68, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



19th June 2011

Pets
Did you pet the lizard? They don't like to be petted typically.
20th June 2011

Maybe your typical American lizard, but we're in India.
21st June 2011
44

I LOVE THE MAN PURSE!!! Awesome to get to see pics while you're gone!!
21st June 2011

It looks like those people are faking like they like you.
21st June 2011

.
That's why we feel at home here!

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0636s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb