Jaipur the Pink City


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaipur
February 17th 2009
Published: February 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The Train to Jaipur was almost smooth. Left Bodhgaya at 5 am by Taxi to train station in Gaya. Train came on time. Unfortunately it was delayed going thru Ajmer my lest favorite city. Train came into Jaipur at 1 :30 am next day. Long, long ride.

We were greeted, after some delay, by folks from the Hotel we are to stay at, called Hotel City Home. From the time they met us to the time we left Jaipur we were cared for diligently. Arranging Taxi rides, recommending places to see, and feeding us at all different times due to our unusual schedule. Many thanks to Sandeep and his staff.

WE both love Jaipur. Its the cleanest city we have been to so far. They even have a keep Jaipur clean campaign going on. Trash cans outside most tourist sites with signs saying please use me. Its great. The dirt and trash is more tolerable.

Jaipur also looks a lot like Taos. Elevation is not as high, but a dessert setting with mountains. Check out the pics.

We visited the Pink City, City Palace , Water Palace and Amber Fort. The fort was awesome. It was also scary at times. A Bollywood film was being shot at the fort location the time we visited. Thousands of young Indians hoping to get a glimpse of their favorite actors. Unfortunately at times they were chased away from a set area by policeman with sticks, sending hoards running down ramps of the fort helter skelter. WE saw one woman being carried off on a stretcher, blending and hurt. I saw another fellow holding his bleeding arm with his head down. WE were fortunate enough to be with a guide who protected us somewhat and being near a pillar which we were able to use for shelter. It was frightening to see what a force a mob can be. Even though they were mostly young people looking to see a famous person, the swell and movement of a crowd in panic was unsettling.

Even with that mishap, the fort is great. I loved all of it and would go back again. Pics will give you a glimpse of what we saw. The guide book recommended a guide for visiting this site. For 100 rupees ( 2 bucks) it was well worth it. He told us so much about the fort , it really came alive for us. How the king and his wife's lived at the fort. Who's rooms were who's, things like that.

Jaipur also has more Elephants and camels then we have seen elsewhere. And monkeys.

Thanks to Brenna we also had a chance to take in some cultural activities at a place known as the JKK. We saw a life play, all in Hindi. Could not understand a word they said and we understood the plot. And the acting was great. Man gets in fight with wife- wife goes to mother- best friend convinces man to create a play to woo his wife back. Wife wants to be in play- Mother objects- play turns into a fiasco with mother on stage berating lead actor. All good humor and laugh. It was wierd not knowing what they were saying. Still enjoyable and funny.

We also saw a life performance of musical artists. Drums, tabla, flute, singing all in an outdoor open air theater. I really liked this town.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Roof top Restuarant JaipurRoof top Restuarant Jaipur
Roof top Restuarant Jaipur

Our first organic food since leaving Taos. A great restaurant on top of a hotel.


20th February 2009

Great Pictures of Jaipur
Those are some great pictures of Jaipur. Well done Richard adn Annya. Annya looks great and so relaxed in the roof top restaurant! I am so happy for you both enjoying Jaipur.
20th February 2009

Havin tooooooooooo much FFFFuuuuunnnnn
Did you guyz make it too India----napolis yet????
21st February 2009

India----napolis is a gas
Hey Charlo, Thanks for driving us to Albuquerque to start our adventure. If Napolis means city, then we have been to a number of them here in India. Tomorrow we go on a overnight Camel Safari into the desert. Wish us luck. Richard

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb