Jaipur and Happenings


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaipur
February 5th 2007
Published: February 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I have really enjoyed Jaipur. It's outstanding and the people are amazing. I've found that everyone is so much more helpful and understanding.
Yesterday I went to a few sights with a girl who is here working from The Netherlands. She does work with AIDS prevention. India being number one in the world followed by Africa. She said people just don't talk about sex but people a lot of unprotected premarital sex. If they can't afford condoms or birth control then they just have an abortion because you must not get pregnant before marriage. There are two types of marriages in India. Love marriages and arranged. Dowries are still given by the girls parents like motorbikes, money, household appliances, etc. so a lot of people cannot even afford to marry.
Yesterday we went to Jantar Mantar an observatory begun by Jai Singh in 1728. It's outside and looks like an enormous playground. Lonely Planet describes as something from Alice Through the Looking Glass. Graham you would love this place! It has all these giant instruments that help calculate time, month, part of year according to how the sun casts shadows on the instruments. I actually figured out what time it was! And India is off by thirty minutes. For some reason they are the only country in the world that has their time at half and hour more. Everyone else is always an hour difference. But according to the observatory its wrong!
The city is known as the "Pink City" Everyone seems very proud of this tradition. In 1876 the Maharaja Ram Singh (maharaja means king) had the entire town painted pink because it's a sign of hospitality. The prince of England was coming for a visit.
The city has a lot of charm. The streets are jampacked with people either on motorbikes, rickshaws, cars, or bikes. There are no lanes, no lights, no stop signs. If you wanna cross the street you say a little prayer put your hand out and make people slow down for you....my hands are getting sweaty writing this...I've done it a couple times. No need for caffeine in Jaipur. Tired? try crossing a street.
I've made friends with a local guy named Titi. He has been so helpful. Taken me to some amazing places. He took me to a factory that makes clothing, shawls, bed covers, table runners, wall tapestrys, sari's, and so much more. Amy you would flip out!! Today I am going to swing by the shop he is going to fit me in a sari! I have basically abandoned my old clothes and bought some skirts and tops here. They are more loose, lighter, and cooler. They don't stand out as much either. The women especially seem to like it when you wear more traditional clothing. The crafts, carpets, jewelry, are amazing here and everything cost a fraction of what it would be back home.
There are a lot of beggars here. It is really hard not to give money. I had a hard time giving something to one person not the other. Titi told me that when giving I should give to hadicapped beggars and old people because they really need it others he said put on a good scam. He said that a lot of women hold babies come up to you...you give them something and then they send others. Its hard seeing all the different levels of poverty here. It's difficult.
I know I'm rambling but I'm trying to recount everything I've seen. I suppose this a place I can kind of recollect my thoughts and put them on paper.
There was a wedding here this weekend. Ricky Martin sang at it. Supposedly the biggest wedding of the year between two big businessmen's children. I have some pictures of all this but I haven't been able to post them yet.
Today I am going to book a ticket to the next town....I'm not sure where I'm going yet...maybe pushkar?
I hope everyone is well I miss you and think of you often.


Advertisement



5th February 2007

Cool!
Sounds like things are getting better!!! I'm so happy that you are having a good experience in Jaipur. Hey my Indian friend here at work said you should check out Kerala in the south!!! Take care, Love jen
5th February 2007

Did you know. . .
. . . that there are doctors in India who perform voluntary amputations on beggars looking to increase their begging market value. Check it out: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/5231022.stm
9th February 2007

thank you for the text message... i love you!! thinking about yoooooooouuu!!
13th February 2007

la vida loca
Drink an indie beer for your friends back home when you have a chance. We're all thinking about you down here. Good luck girl.
14th February 2007

I think I just threw up!
I am constantly amazed by you. I am sure I would have passed out in the back of that bus, just after I threw up. I am not as brave as you are. I agree with Jen about the camels. What kind of spices do they use in the food aside from curry? You will have to try to learn to cook a few things to share with all of us when you return. Please stay safe. I would be crazy by now.

Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.024s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb