Where the stair goes downwards to eradicate arrogance- The Golden Temple of Amritsar, India


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Punjab » Amritsar
October 5th 2014
Published: October 5th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Today I just wanted to visit some kind of holy place which will bring a kind of peace to my mind. So I was traveling in search of such a place (as I was sure about finding one!) and suddenly a place just grabbed my attention, the golden temple of India. As its name is golden temple it was no surprise to know that they used 10 kg gold to build their lotus shaped tomb. But the fact that really touched my heart is that the stair to enter this temple goes downward rather than going upward (like all other temples) to eradicate arrogance from human mind. And they also have four gates to enter into the temple to symbolize that people from every walk of life are welcome here. Whenever we think about a holy place it always gets attached with a religion. Though this temple is also representing a religion, sikkh, but also they are inviting everybody to be a part of their journey. There is another amazing thing is that the temple is surrounded by a lake which gives it an amazing unique perspective. The architecture of the temple is influenced both by the Hindu and Muslim style. So it’s kind of creates a blend of unity. There is a picture I have found in a website which may be was taken from the sky, the golden temple surrounded by the lake was looking so unique that made me confused that it was actually built in 1604! In another picture taken at night, the glittery color of gold is looking so stunning that you will actually agree with the local name ‘gurudwara’ which means temple of God. Every day they serve food to hundreds to thousands of people known as langar. Langar is prepared and served by the volunteer worshipers. And the volunteers also clean the golden tomb on special occasion with tamarind and it is totally done by hand. After knowing about such a spectacular place it really feels like the world is not a bad place to live. When so many people are busy in fighting with each other there are also so many out there who are ready to unite the mankind again. The time I spend searching for information and pictures were worthwhile. I hope you also enjoyed reading about the temple. Next time we will visit another corner of the world but till then ta da.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0374s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb