Delhi and the Magnificent Taj Mahal


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » New Delhi
April 7th 2013
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

First Glimpse of the TajFirst Glimpse of the TajFirst Glimpse of the Taj

This is your intro as soon as you pass through the security and the massive entrance gates. Just a little impressive, don't you agree?
Our decision to return to Delhi was predicated by a need to visit The Taj Mahal. I am not lying when I say I had no desire to make this trip. Visiting The Golden Temple in Amritsar was my gig, and I left it just a couple of days before feeling completely overwhelmed and satisfied with the experience. However, Stan insisted that a visit to India must include this iconic wonder of the world, so we set off for another day trip to the city of Agra and The Taj Mahal.

The plan was to pick up a 10:00 a.m. train, arrive by 1:00 p.m., have a full afternoon to visit, then take a train back in the evening. Well, things didn't work out quite like that, as our train was three hours late, but our 4:00 arrival still left us enough time to wade through The Taj. Unfortunately, it was mid-day on a Sunday, the worst possible time to visit any point of interest in this country, so we were visiting along with multitudes of others who had the same idea.

Was it a worthwhile trip? Yes, the building was beautiful, even though it did not knock my
The Taj Reflected in its WatersThe Taj Reflected in its WatersThe Taj Reflected in its Waters

A little bit of careful thought went into this plan, like everything else about this building. Precise and overwhelming, if you stop to think about all of it.
socks off, as I was still reminiscing in awe my experience at The Golden Temple, which was another beautiful construct, but one accompanied by equally beautiful energy and displays of human kindness. The Taj had none of that energy, but it cannot be denied that it is a beautiful, mesmerizing building. Furthermore, being surrounded by crowds did not allow for stopping and fully appreciating the intricate details that contribute to its title as one of the wonders of the world.

Our following day in Delhi was, however, a much needed and deserved rest day, as we had not stopped moving since we left Dharamsala four days earlier, and in that short time had packed in so much. So we made it a spa day! Just a one minute walk from our hotel, down a narrow little alley and a set of steps, I was guided by our hotel staff to this artistic, clean, and fully modern hair and aesthetics spa. Four hours later I left, after having had a hair color, conditioning treatment, full head and upper body massage, and a half hour pedicure, all of which set me back a grand total of forty bucks Canadian! It was
Stan in one of the Taj's ArchesStan in one of the Taj's ArchesStan in one of the Taj's Arches

This would be another example of detail. Zoom in closely and you might begin to get the idea.
amazing; so much so that I was able to convince Stan to give it a try as well.

That day Stan got to add three firsts to his life story: his first ever pedicure; his first ever straight edge razor shave; and his first ever full out professional head massage. Not bad. His investment was ten bucks, plus, of course, the tips we were happy to give for the excellent service provided.

But the rest period is short, as tomorrow we begin our journey to Varanasi, the oldest and reportedly most bizarre city in India.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Bev Holding up the TajBev Holding up the Taj
Bev Holding up the Taj

Why not have a little fun with it, I ask myself?
Bev Pondering the TajBev Pondering the Taj
Bev Pondering the Taj

Alright, I have to concede. It is amazing, even though it doesn't feed the masses. It does make you wonder.
Camel and Cart at the TajCamel and Cart at the Taj
Camel and Cart at the Taj

These were a popular tourist attraction at the Taj, although we declined the offer for a ride on one of these babies.
Ugly Camel MugshotUgly Camel Mugshot
Ugly Camel Mugshot

Just in case you are harbouring any illusions that camels are cute and cuddly, think again. They are not, and those mouths are roped up for a reason. They don't like people much either.
Bev with Rickshaw DriverBev with Rickshaw Driver
Bev with Rickshaw Driver

These rickshaw drivers were also common at the Taj. We broke down and took a ride in one of them, but afterwards both agreed it would likely be our last, as we were both guilt tripping when our nice driver was struggling to walk us up and incline. We compensated by giving him a hefty tip, but still felt bad for the tough job he has to do to survive.
Stan's First PedicureStan's First Pedicure
Stan's First Pedicure

Yes, you must see this to believe it. But doesn't he look happy? This could be the start of something . . .
Stan's First Straight Edged Razor Shave EverStan's First Straight Edged Razor Shave Ever
Stan's First Straight Edged Razor Shave Ever

So just as the guy was flashing the razor in front of his Stan's throat, Stan says to me " I love you, dear."
Stan's Precision TrimStan's Precision Trim
Stan's Precision Trim

But he survived after all, and look at those precision lines in that wicked beard trim. Nice.
Stan's First Ever Professional Head MassageStan's First Ever Professional Head Massage
Stan's First Ever Professional Head Massage

This went on for about fifteen minutes, an all out workout from head to back, including arms. Simply spendid. Doesn't he just look so content? This was the wonderful note on which we left Delhi.More or less rested, all beautified, and seemingly ready to take on the next stage of the adventure tomorrow, as we head to Varansi.


17th April 2013

You trend setter Stan! I was just commenting to Nik that I thought he should indulge in a pedicure.

Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0228s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb