Day 24: Qutub Minar & Akshardham


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » New Delhi
June 22nd 2011
Published: September 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

I woke up at 8.30, showered, went to use internet for 1 hour and had breakfast at Coffee house before meeting Gyaltsen. Our first destination was Qutub Minar at south delhi. His friend, Chel, joined us for the day. I'm so glad to have two guides in Delhi.

From the metro station, we took the shuttle bus to Qutub Minar and paid Rs 10 for each person. Qutub Minar is one of the World Heritage Site, thus the entrance fee was Rs 250 for foreigner (same as Agra Fort and Red Fort), but it was only Rs 10 for local people. We spent one hour plus there. After that, we took auto-rickshaw to metro station. The auto-rickshaw driver insisted we visit a souvenir shop on the way. We went to the shop anyway. They sold silk things, marble things and other handicrafts. I wasn’t planning on spending so much so I didn’t buy anything, and so did them. Then we continue taking the auto-rickshaw to metro.

When we changed train at Rajiv Chowk, we had our lunch at Nirula Express. I had Spicy Chicken Roll, which has the same filling as curry puff in Singapore, except that it has onion too. After lunch, we continued our metro journey to Akshardham. The Swaminarayan Akshardham temple is just beside metro station, yet there was still rickshaw driver who offered to take us for Rs 5 for each person.

Akshardham temple is a very large temple complex built to honor Bhagwan Swaminarayan, someone who was a spiritual teacher in India. The temple has extremely policy. No electronice devices, bags, umbrellas, outside food and drinks are allowed. Thus, no picture this time, sigh. The temple was so full of carvings that I thought it took a long time to build. To my surprise, it only took 5 years to complete.

We finished at 4.30. We had original plan to go to Old Fort, but by the time we reach there it would’ve closed, so we went back to Majnu ka Tila. I ordered-in beef chopsuey from the hotel as my dinner. It’s crispy noodle with vegetables and onion in sweet and sour sauce. I love everything except the vegetable and onion! After dinner, I went to use internet for 2 hours to research about Australia trip but haven’t come to conclusion on the transport type. After internet, I showered and rest.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0552s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb