Delhi to Hardiwar


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » New Delhi
October 7th 2005
Published: October 7th 2005
Edit Blog Post

i am sweating my sweet little ass off as this computer works off the generater that is humming in the background. i am in a basement internet closet and writing off 10r an hour...the cheapest internet charge i have found to date. i am buying time before i leave by train for Hardiwar and Reshikesh. i am spending four days there before taking another train to Amritsar. i had a fantastic experiece at a sikh temple in gwalior and look fwd to seeing the mother of all sikh temples in amritsar.

the last couple of days have been interesting in delhi. it does not scare me as it did when i was first here about a month ago. the only thing i really miss is walking carefree without having to worry you're going to be smacked by a tuk tuk or begged for a ride by a rickshaw. i am constantly looking and looking all about not to get killed or maybe just maimed....but on the other hand that is what is so cool aobut it all...it's just bloody chaotic...and there is a cheap thrill in that.

so here i will give you a little example of how to get ripped off in delhi. go to a shoe shop and see these great little leather numbers, ask the price and he says 1500 for the two and i am like no no.....and then he is like 1250...and i am like no no...so i get it for 1000...for the two pairs...still a lot of money but i am in shoe shopping mood (yes...even here in india) ...so after lunch i see this nice indian girl buying a different pair of shoes but at a very similar shop...i ask how much he is asking.....250 for a pair! so i quickly do my comparative analysis and realize i had been had at the other shop....so i shop with her...sweet girl who was on her day off from the call center... i ended up buying a pair there and left with a very valualbe lesson in the art of shopping and bardering....ugh...LOL....all about the experience....

so yeah...there you have it....it's 2:34 pm...i am kinda buying time here...trying not to spend money...i am all citied out and ready for something a bit more quite and not so isolating.... i was looking for a rooftop cafe but i don't see any....maybe my job when i leave here...OH! and yes...i caved (embarassed...VERY embarassed to say) i went to McDs for lunch....notice i can't even say the whole word??!!...it was an interesting experience and i would like to think it was all about taking in the more affluent teenage cultural phenomenon of India....(liked how i tried to hide the fact i ate crap american food with some sort of sociological study...did it work??) well i think i am paying for it now...lol...

well folks...i want to wish all my dear friends and family a very happy thanksgiving (a canadian holiday whereby children of canada get an extra day off, come back to school with no homework done because they chowed down on too much roasted turkey, mashed potatoes, yams, cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie with extra whipped cream...then fell asleep digesting it all). please think of me when youare eating yummy yams and craberry with the bird....oh shit i wish i was there for jsut that...LOL...
so on this note...iam thankful for having such wonderful family and friends at home and for meeting some great new friends through my travels.

be well
...and for those still out there...travel hard

love ro
xo

Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb