Running away from the scammers in Delhi


Advertisement
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » Delhi
August 11th 2015
Published: October 24th 2015
Edit Blog Post

In Delhi most people choose a day tour via private car to view many of the nearby sights. We wanted to do something similar but take our time as we got to grips with this new country, India. Following a very hearty breakfast, we decided we would carry out a ‘do it yourself’ kind of day tour via the metro. This went against the hostel’s advice of hiring out a car but we wanted to see India fo... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Helpful guard/camera manHelpful guard/camera man
Helpful guard/camera man

Refused to take Indians pictures at Qatub Minar, only tourists pictures.








25th October 2015

Is the hassle worth it?
Well done for avoiding every scam they tried on you. It's such a pain having to put up with it, but like you said, there are ways of avoiding them if you are aware of the scams and know where the scammers hang out. For us, Delhi was by far the worst of it. I was a bit disappointed that there aren't any photos of P in that fetching gown at jama masjid :) , but I suppose poor Chris wasn't in a mood to snap pics at that point! :(
25th October 2015

all the hassle
We agree, the hassle was by far the worse in Delhi. Saying that it doesnt stop me from wanting to return to see the sights we missed, it just gives us more determination to overcome it. Lol don't think Chris took one, he wasnt feeling great at all by this point :(
25th October 2015

Hello my friend where are you from
It is a nice greeting until you've heard it a 100 times. Learning to shake them without being rude is an art form but it can be done. Love hearing your impressions. You've seen some lovely architecture and eaten some great foods. Please keep those photos coming.
25th October 2015

hello my friend.
I agree it is certainly an art that comes from experience. Something that must hit those who have never travel before even harder as its just not an issue in a lot of western countries. Thanks for your lovely comments again its great you can relate to our impressions :)
25th October 2015

Ahh the memories
Thanks guys for such a fantastic blog, it transported us back there...we could almost smell and taste it. India is such an incredible experience, but the hassle can sometimes make it hard to be civil, you have both done so well and looking forward to how you handle Agra. Agraphobia is a real and serious issue, good luck. Keep up the great writing and photos, they are sensational.
25th October 2015

Ahh the memories
Thank you for such a lovely comment. Its great to hear we were able to bring back memories for you. India really is such a unique place and brings all sorts of experiences. Love that saying, agra-phobia lol it certainly is real!!
25th October 2015
Reflecting at Jama Masjid

Delhi Belly and Scammers!
While some of these sights seem pretty interesting, the scammers' stories are horrendous! That "Where are you from my friend?" etc is used lots in Morocco, but that scary business of following you takes stalking to a new level. Glad you've caught on to their tricks, you clever travelers, and as usual, I loved that you set out on your own to explore. P's new pants are gorgeous and those onion bhajis look to die for! Glad that the hassling will lighten up north!
26th October 2015
Reflecting at Jama Masjid

Delhi Belly
It really was a hassle but luckily it did ease up from here. Never knew Morocco was similar, I place we have never travelled but I am sure we will. Regretfully we did not go up north and we had heard incredible things about it too. Would love to go back to travel more north but I guess that's another trip. Thanks, those Alibaba type of pants are a must in India, so breezy and fashionable. I could not wear them enough! :)
5th November 2015

Tired just by reading...
All those scammers!!! That's one of the reasons why India is not on our list. I got angry at all those men just by reading how annoying they were with you, so I'm not sure I could keep calm if it would happen to me. We had similar experience in Indonesia and I didn't like it at all!! Also, I'm not sure I could detach myself of the poverty, smells, people, noise...
6th November 2015

Tired by reading
I understand it was similar in Jogja as it is in Delhi just on a much larger scale. Being aware of some of the scams before is useful as you know what to expect and can embrace yourself for it. I guess you have to try to not let it get to you even though it will be a challenge as it was for us. What kept us sane however was knowing the rest of India was not like this. We could relax a little away from Delhi. The only tiring thing for us outside Delhi was having to negotiate all the time so we didn't have to pay extortionate amounts. Overall I still think the positives outweigh the negatives as it was a beautiful vibrant country ?

Tot: 0.293s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 41; qc: 156; dbt: 0.1794s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.6mb