October 25-26: Delhi


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » Delhi
October 30th 2008
Published: October 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Good morning, IndiaGood morning, IndiaGood morning, India

Breakfast at our crib
After much needed sleep, woke up to first digested meal in India. As Borat would say, Success! Truth be told, our hotel is french owned and on the fancy shmancy side. Breakfast included fresh squeezed lime-OJ, masala omelette, crepes with nutella and fresh jam, all enjoyed on the outdoor terrace.

Then it's off to explore the holy sights. Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs, and the Ba'hai. They've all got a home in Delhi. All this religion can make you thirsty. For alcohol, that is. In the afternoon, we made our way to the Imperial Hotel (thanks for the tip, Lisette and Jean-Pierre!), one of the swankiest lodgings in town.

We met up with Shabad in the evening, who hosted us at his new cafe, Relax Xpress. We feasted on the finest kebabs this side of the Himlayas. Oh, and the brain masala is to die for. Shabad drove us back to the hotel after dinner and joined us on our terrace for drinks into the wee hours. Not bad for day 2 right?

-----

On Sunday, our last day in Delhi, Itay insisted we visit Old School Delhi. Sheesh, was that an ordeal. As we left the dusty parking
Mr. Bali Mr. Bali Mr. Bali

Our guide at the Qutb Minar. What a saint. He was Stephen Hawking's guide, too, when he visited.
lot opposite the Red Fort, next to a small herd of goats, old men playing cards, two improvised shacks, and men setting up a wedding party canopy, we knew it was going to be a long day.

First up was the Muslim quarter, centered around the biggest moque in town, Jama Masjib. Let's just put it this way: Don't come for the hospitality or warm vibes. Next was a stroll through Chadni Chowk, one of the biggest bazaars in Delhi. Glad we came on an "off" day when half the shops were closed down. The streets were choked with people and cars, beggars and merchants, and everything in between. Could only imagine what it's like at full capacity.

With our batteries running low, we stopped off for chinese takeout and called it a night. Good stuff, can't wait enjoy more Indo-Chinese cuisine. Tomorrow brings the first travel by train to Dehra Dun, where Jaspreet's mom and her extended family await.




Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Qutb Minar Qutb Minar
Qutb Minar

As Mr. Bali explained, what is now a Muslim holy site was an originally a center for astronomy.
Chattarpur MandirChattarpur Mandir
Chattarpur Mandir

First (of many) Hindu temples on our visit. The Jew feels at home with all the star of Davids.
Flower ChildFlower Child
Flower Child

A gift from the Hindu temple.
Sunset at the Lotus TempleSunset at the Lotus Temple
Sunset at the Lotus Temple

Home to the Ba'hai faithful since 1986.
Shabad: Man, Myth, Kebab KingShabad: Man, Myth, Kebab King
Shabad: Man, Myth, Kebab King

A very happy and full Jaspreet after our meal at Relax Xpress. Order your food for free delivery today. Or come check him out in person!
Jama MasijidJama Masijid
Jama Masijid

Muslim HQ, where they charge you to take pictures, climb tower, even take off shoes.
Delhi vistaDelhi vista
Delhi vista

Crammed quarters at top of tower give way to panoramic view. Just don't linger for too long.
Chadni ChowkChadni Chowk
Chadni Chowk

Market scene on the way to Sisganj Gurudawara, the most relaxing spot we visited in Old Delhi. It's the site where the ninth Sikh guru was martyred.
Riksha loverRiksha lover
Riksha lover

Did we mention Itay loves the auto riskha?
NamasteNamaste
Namaste

Kee Haale holy man?


30th October 2008

brain masala?
Wow - brain masala? I'm praying that "brain" is also a Hindi/Punjabi word. Nevertheless, you guys are making me hungry for Jaspreet's mom's good cooking... Travel safe and go easy on the brain masala.
30th October 2008

Good Times!
Hey Guys, lovely to see you having such a great time. It is a blast being a tourist in India. Great job on the blog. Look forward to more, keep it coming!
31st October 2008

Brain means brain!
Yup! It's a sepcialty at RelaXpress so we had to try it. It tastes like scrambled eggs but more slimy:) Tasted good esp. with daal and butter chicken and 2 plates of kabobs on the side!

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0558s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb