Oct 23-24: Chicago to Delhi, via Frankfurt


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » Delhi
October 29th 2008
Published: October 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Our bags are packedOur bags are packedOur bags are packed

The Blue line stop, Wicker Park. Oh how it all started so innocently.
All it took was 3 flights, 24 hours, and more airport bathrooms than we'd care to view. First off was a long stopover in Frankfurt, which gave us enough time to enjoy some European fine dining: cappuccinno and sausages, with apple tart to go.

A brief stop at Mumbai airport, the third customs check (how many times can they inspect liquids?!), and then we finally landed in Delhi, 9 am local time. To the uninitiated (ie, Itay) it was quite a slap in the face. Every conceivable form of trasnposrt, the smog, the humanity!

We checked into a lovely B&B in south Delhi, showered up and hit the town with our driver.

First day highlights coming right up...we have two more days in Delhi, after which we head off to Dehra Dun, home of Jaspreet's mom.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Fishy lunchFishy lunch
Fishy lunch

Kaiserstrasse, Frankfurt. Site of glorious outdoor dining.
What up Euro?What up Euro?
What up Euro?

downtown Frankfurt
India GateIndia Gate
India Gate

First stop in Delhi!
India Gate, part 2India Gate, part 2
India Gate, part 2

We asked a German couple to take our photo, figured they wouldn't hound us for money. Boy were we wrong!
Attack of the school kidsAttack of the school kids
Attack of the school kids

They were telling Jaspreet how to take a better shot, and then insisted on taking on the next picture with her. (notice how i'm grabbing at my wallet just in case)
Bangla SahibBangla Sahib
Bangla Sahib

The largest gurudawara in Delhi, an oasis in the middle of an urban jungle
Itay's favorite way to travelItay's favorite way to travel
Itay's favorite way to travel

Gotta love the auto riksha, now if there was only something we could do about the smog and constant horn usage.


29th October 2008

looks like the journey has begun!
Congrats on making it halfway around the world. I'm thinking this is going to be somewhat like the Amazing Race (except you're not racing anybody). Bangla Sahib looks beautiful. The best photo award so far goes to Itay grabbing his wallet.
29th October 2008

Paratha
So you decided to check out Frankfurt after all. You stress me out. Jaspreet, make sure you take Itay to the paratha open air restaurant with the cockroaches on the walls, floor, roof and plates. It was the best paratha I have ever eaten. Send my what-ups to Shabad.
29th October 2008

wallet??
hey guys! it looks so fun.... i love the pics and the update- keep it coming. p.s. how is the FOOD?? aka the most important part. wish i was on a big india adventure, but alas i have started my own adventure here in nyc at the desk as we speak. ciao for now. love yifaa
29th October 2008

That ain't smog from my scooty
what's up jastay? pictures look great, you guys look happy! itay- all rickshaws in delhi are colored green for a reason buddy. they all use LNG - natural gas. this was mandated like 10 years ago and 100% conversion to natural gas was achieved like 5 years ago. in addition, many scooty's are electric. more blog postings!!!

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0469s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb