MArch 16 #2


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Maharashtra » Mumbai
March 18th 2006
Published: March 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

March 16th, 2006,
Day 70 of our cruise of 105
Second wonderful day in Mumbay (formely Bombay), in West India

Busy day

We left at 9am with the ships tour Marvels of Mumbay (granny-page 33 in the excursion book) and were blessed with an articulate and knowledgeable guide. We saw everything and were instructed the whole way by Shilpa. She brought us into the Ghandi and the Prince of Wales museums. We also visited the laudry cement cubicles that men rent for 500 ruppees a month(12$) for space and 1(yes only one tub-and lots of bleach and pink powder) tub of water a day; for a small fee they wash by beating, dry, iron and fold clothes in there and return them the next day. At the almost end of our trip, we left the tour at the Taj Mahal Hotel, crossed the road and hopped a boat to Elephanta Caves. We did this on our own, not escorted and paid a tenth of the excursion value in the book (page 32).

Upon our return, we begged a ride back to the ship from another excursion that was finishing it’s tea at the Taj(Panoramic Mumbai, page 32). We are always thankful to hide back on a bus after being assailed by beggars and vendors-see scene beside the bus on pictures.
Tonight, we are eating at the Lido, the ship is hosting an Indian BBQ, 6 to 7:30, I suspect to get dinner over with early so that the crew can get off and have a visit of the town.
We then will head out in a taxi for a while to tour the Queen’s Necklace (page 32) on our own with John and Brigit.
Tomorrow: thieves market, Crawford market and any other we can find to get rid of our few leftover rupees.

Hello my children, hello granny.
ttys




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0187s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb