I hate feeling at home when I am abroad!


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Maharashtra » Mumbai
December 29th 2005
Published: December 30th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Back here in Mumbai after spending a lot of time in Karnataka, visiting a few temples or so.
Bangalore was full on and to be honest an absolute relief to get out of. In places like Bangalore India is travelling at 150 miles and hour but most of the infrastructure and population can't keep up with it. It did have 'pubs' tho' which was kinda nice but that soon wears off when you have to keep all five senses switched when you walk anywhere to avoid being run down, mowed over by gangs of youths, death defying pavement pot holes and incessant screaming car and rickshaw horns ... get the picture!!!

Had a very relaxing Christmas here but was also very surprised to see how Christmassy Mumbai appeared. Christmas trees, decorations, taped carols being played in shops and restaurants, Santa greeting you, waiters with Father Christmas hats on! Not what we expected at all ! So no escaping it even here....hmmm

Christmas Day for me and him was a great curry and a few cocktails in The Gaylord, Mike even got his Plum Pud and brandy cream. But at least we didn't have all the hassle and stress of shopping and the tedious chore of opening all those presents!

Have the spent the last week wandering the streets of Mumbai soaking up the atmosphere and snacking on Indian street food - which is delicious and not doing a lot of sightseeing for a change apart from .....going to Mani Bhaven, Ghandi's home for many years which is being converted into a Ghandi Memorial. It was here that he lived and moulded the nation in the image if his cherished ideals of truth and non-violence. Fascinating museum with loads of interesting articles and letters, even the letter to Hitler was on show.

Now, we are packing for midnight departure to Perth on 31st, via Singapore hopefully arriving on New Years Day, very much looking forward to being in Australia again and start camping and fishing....

hope your 2006 is all you wish for.... love L & M

Advertisement



2nd January 2006

Mirth in Perth
The only thing I ever knew about Bangalore was that Colin Cowdray was born there! Hope your journey, Singapore-Australia, went well. We had an exciting period of snow clearing at TG before a 10 hour drive down to Penzance. We danced in the New Year at the Queeens Hotel with friends and recovered with lunch at The Old Coastguard in Mousehole on New Year's Day. Brilliant day of sunshine and no cloud today, so we're taking Zennor, the dog, to Gwithian Sands for us all to have a run out. We'll be wrapped up warm, quite a contrast to Western Australia! Happy New Year and safe travelling.
4th January 2006

Happy New Year
Hiya Leslie and Mike, good to hear that you enjoyed Xmas...we did too, though very traditional, Xmas eve in a Country Hotel, had a beautiful meal in cadelit dining room...jazz band playing quietly in the lobby..great atmosphere...spent xmas morning walking friends dog, Gordon Setter (mad!!) round Crathes castle, with snow underfoot, so very different to yours....New year in Fraserburgh with friends so plenty of companionship, and no domestic chore for me this year...it was a great chill out time.. Hope 2006 brings everything you wish for...and more happy travels..regards, Annette and the gangxx

Tot: 0.257s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 77; dbt: 0.2205s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb