Bombay Belly Here We Come!


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Maharashtra » Mumbai
August 8th 2008
Published: August 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well everyone, we actually made it to another continent. After saying goodbye to the satellitte tv and leather couches of the Kunas house, Jord and Dave boarded the train to Vienna for one last night in the western world. They quickly viewed the main sights of town, ate some schnitzel, and went to bed early in preparation for a full day of travel. The next morning they made to to the airport and managed to catch the 6 hour plane ride to Doha, Qatar. Upon leaving the plane and walking to the airport they realized that it was possibly the hottest, most humid place on earth, and this was after the sun had gone down. You were soaked after the 20 foot walk outside into the air conditioned terminal. One highlight of Doha, however, was that somehow there was an A&W inside and rootbeers and burgers were ordered, reguardless of price. After this healthy and delicious meal, they boarded a second plane to Mumbai and the rest of the trip.

After clearing Indian customs and getting outside the airport, the boys were as relieved as they ever have been on the trip, as there was a local waiting outside with a DAVID KUNAS banner. It seems the person they were staying with in Mumbai, Dave's old teacher Mr. Gardener, was still looking out for him and had sent a driver. It is a good thing too, as Mumbai is not only a massive city with more homeless people that Dave and Jord had ever seen, it is also full of the craziest drivers. Horn honking is more common than signal lights and lanes are just a suggestion. They managed to make it to the apatment though, and its a good thing they we lucky enough to have a place to stay as apparently houses and hotels in Mumbai are more than New York City. The first day in Mumbai they quickly go used to what monsoon season is all about, basically 28 above all day and night, cloudy skies with the occasional rain and crazy humidity. Considering how hot and polluted the city can get in the dry season, this is not necessarily a bad thing. Mr Gardener showed them the school where he is principal and Dave met some of the younger siblings of people he used to go to AIS with. The rest of the day was spent walking around the city and seeing sights like the Gateway to India and the Taj Hotel. Mumbai is the kind of place where just walking around the city is an experience though. There are street vendors everywhere, huge slums on the ocean between the high rises, ancient taxis honking, something happening everywhere. Today Dave and Jord went to Elephanta Island, about an hour boat ride off the coast, to view the ancient caves there. They are dedicated to the god Shiva and the island is also full of monkeys, much to everyones pleasure. The other great thing about India so far is that other than real estate, everything else is amazingly cheap. Dinner tonight, with drinks at an average restaurant, cost about $1.10 Canadian. Much better that European prices. Tomorrow Mr Gardener has agreed to be our tour guide and show us more of the city, so the next blog entry will be much better informed. Till then!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb