Aurangabad–A City of Rich Culture….!!!


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Maharashtra » Aurangabad
November 19th 2010
Published: February 19th 2015
Edit Blog Post

A region as diverse and rich in geography, biology and people and customs, naturally has a long and varied tradition of art and crafts. Aurangabad is the proud home to various different artistic techniques which have flourished under the many rulers including the Marathas, the Mughals and the British. From the paintings at Ajanta, so many hundreds of years ago, to today’s Warli paintings, Aurangabad’s ties with the Arts have always remained strong and nurturing.

Mashru and Himru

Aurangabad is famous for Mashru and Himru fabrics made of cotton and silk with the luster of satin. Himru is an age-old weaving craft, and was originally known as kum khuab.

Bidriware

Bidriware, another one of Aurangabad’s ancient crafts, is made from a combination of zinc and copper. It usually involves intricate workmanship of pure silver, either embossed, overlaid or inlaid on the metal surface. Originally, Bidri ware items were used as hookahs or paan daans. Nowadays they are more often sold as souvenirs.

Paithani Saris



The art of weaving Paithani saris is 2000 years old. The yarn used is pure silk and the zari or gold threads are drawn from pure gold. A heavily brocaded Paithani sari takes anywhere from six months to one and a half years to weave.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0718s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb