Our visit to Rajamalai at Eravikulam National Park, Munnar


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Munnar
May 16th 2014
Published: March 27th 2015
Edit Blog Post

The Eravikulam National Park (Rajamalai) is major tourist attractions in Munnar. In my childhood days I visited there a few times. Then during my grown up years it was often a journey with friends especially during summer breaks. Recently I visited with my wife and kids and caught some glimpses from the area including mountains, rocks and of course Nilgiri Tahrs. Here are my experiences from our trekking to our visit to Eravikulam National Park (Rajamalai), for sure, you will enjoy reading and then may be visiting too.

The Eravikulam National Park is a major tourist site located approximately 13 Km from Munnar town in Udumalpet road (SH17). A small part of the park called Rajamalai is open for tourists. There are several mountains in the park filled with birds, bees, butterflies and animals. Endangered "Nilgiri Tahr" also found here. To protect this species government has banned tourists’ visits during February and March as this is calving season to "Nilgiri Tahrs" and the newborn calves may get disturbed. You can enjoy visiting here for remaining months of the year.

Eravikulam National Park and the safari at Rajamalai




The Eravikulam National Park is spread over an area of 97sq km; it’s protected area. The Rajmalai is a particular small part of the national park and open for tourists. Upon reaching, you can park your vehicle at base parking station and then purchase a bus ticket to travel to Safari. The bus takes you to the top of the mountain. It’s advisable to reach early in the morning well before 7 AM else you may end up in queue waiting hours at ticket counter to get your bus ticket. We reached there at 9 AM and end up waiting in queue till 11 AM. Obviously my wife and kids were exhausted even before starting the journey to top of the mountain.

Anamudi Peak




The Anamudi Peak located in Eravikulam National Park has the honor of being the highest peak in south India. You can not go to the peak as entry is restricted but surely will be impressed watching its beauty from outside while going up from bus or from top of the Rajamalai. The Safari bus will take you near to top and from there almost a distance of 2 Km you will need to go on feet. People unable to walk that much far can return from any point. However, it is a very pleasant walk with a magnificent view of Rajamalai and
other mountains. On the way, you can spot “Nilgiri Tahr” (the beautiful wild goats) roaming in the woods and may be sometime even closure to you and passing by. Do not make loud noises or try chasing the animals. You may end up hurting yourself and that way animals will go away deep in the forests. Keep your cameras ready to catch those beauties for your album. Feeding to animals or carrying plastic bags is not allowed.

Approximately 700-800 Nilgiri Tahrs are believed to be living here in the Eravikulam National Park. During trekking, we spotted a group of some 20 Nilgiri Tarhs while going up and another group of 9 in returning. These were including males, females and calves.

Eravikulam National Park

The kids enjoy here playing on green grass, taking photos with animals and sometimes even touching and playing with them. The superb views of Rocky Mountains of Eravikulam National Park are sure hangouts for adults. In my travel experience across Kerala, I didn’t found any place yet which offer better views than Rajmalai.

Important attractions

The Eravikulam National Park is the ideal visit for people who love trekking and nature to the deep. If you are casual traveler, perhaps you won’t find all the fun here as the place is itself located at the peak. However, for watching world from a top, enjoying magnificent views of mountains, forests and animals Rajmalai is ideal destination. The Nilgiri Tahrs (endangered wild goats species), clusters of mountains, small / big rocks and magnificent greenery are enough to win hearts of a nature lover. Here also you may get to see small water springs; cold, pure, crystal clear water, originating from the mountains. Also you will enjoy watching lots of birds chirping and bathing is spring waters. However, a lot depends on season you visiting. The Rajmalai has many varieties of plants and trees. For any botanist it’s a goldmine.

Entry Fees

Adult – Rs. 75/-

Children – Rs. 65/-

Foreign Nationals – Rs. 260/-

Reservation fee - Rs 50/-

There are no requirements to submit Citizenship certificate. Normally staff at counter identifies you from appearance.

About Reservation: If you reach late and found yourself standing in a long queue of ticket counter, just head to Reservation counter, pay Rs. 50 Extra for reservation and obtain easy ticket. I was not aware about this facility though.

Tips for visitors




Here are some travel tips:
Plan your travel so as to reach early in the morning. Ticket counter open at 8 AM but better if you can reach 7 AM or before so as to avoid long queue.If you arrive late, better advisable is go to Reservation Counter, pay Rs. 50 Extra and obtain bus ticket. This would be many times better than standing
long hours in a queue.In months of January / February; Park is closed for visitors.

How to reach Rajamalai?




Are you International Tourist? Come to Kochi International Airport. From there you can take Train or Hire a Taxi. It’s located 125 Km from Munnar.

The nearest railway station is Aluva which is between Ernakulam and Airport. It is nearly 120 km from Munnar. If the train you are boarding doesn't stop at Aluva, chose to get down at Ernakulam, which is the next nearest railway station. Also from Airport or Railway station you can hire a Taxi to reach to Munnar.

There are no Hotels or Resorts at Rajmalai. However, you can find many hotels, resorts and homestays in Munnar area. Also, you can find many budget hotels, if you are on a tight budget. I stayed in Munnar Tea Country Resort, which is between Adimali and Munnar (about 12 km before reaching Munnar).

Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0338s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb