Paradise


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Kollam
January 18th 2006
Published: January 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We have just come back from 2 days in Paradise.

Jo & Prit have left us now, winding their way to Chennai for their flight home. We decided to stay a little longer in Kerala and see a bit more of the Backwaters. We managed to find a great 2 night package with a local travel agent in Cochin ( Indo World Tours & Travels, Princess Street - this is a recommendation for anyone reading this who might be travelling to Cochin).

We set off on a mini houseboat, not motorised, a bit like a punting. We had a 4 hour magical ride through the rivers, narrow canals and ending up at Vembanad Lake and the Vaikom Lake Resort where we had lunch and would spend the next 2 days.

When we first saw the resort and how small and remote it was, we were a little unsure of having booked 2 nights, but after a 2 hours we got used to the way of life and after 2 days we wanted to stay for longer !!

So...a typical Keralan backwater agenda for the day goes like....

Wake up and watch the sun rise over the lake
Take Masala tea on the "veranda"
Sweet curry for breakfast
Massage by a small rough handed Indian chap
Wash down by same chap !!!!!!! (see pics)
More relaxing in the sun
Reading
Fishing
Georgous lunch (curry)
MORE relaxing
5pm boat trip round the local islands, through the canals, visting the villagers
Watching the sunset on the water at around 6.30pm.
Rest!
Stumptious fish curry dinner and beers at 8pm.

.....The evening was finished off by even more relaxing and watching the bats flying around - bliss! We were the only ones at the resort as well, so we had perfect peace and all for a bargain price of 40 pounds each!

Anyway, back in Kochi for the night and we fly off to Sri Lanka tomorrow morning..can't wait.

Hope everyone is well and enjoying the blogs.

Lou & Steve xx




Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

A view of our Island...A view of our Island...
A view of our Island...

...we were right at the tip of the Island...what a view


Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 17; qc: 87; dbt: 0.0831s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb