Brilliant birthday


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Alleppey
February 9th 2010
Published: February 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post



We caught a sleeper train from Madurai station at 10.45 on Thursday    night and arrived in kollam at 9.30 Friday morning. 
The journey wasn't actually that bad, it looks really crowded 
when all the beds are folded down but we were all able to sleep ok.
We met up with the rest of us then had to take a 2 hour bus journey to the boat, which (after stopping off at the off licence and supermarket 4 supplies) we were on by 1. Just in time for the chef to serve up some really nice fish for lunch. Then for the rest of the whole day we just sat around on the top deck relaxing, sunbathing, looking at the amazing scenary, talking, playing cards and drinking. We had a really tasty dinner of fried chicken and shrimps as well. We tried playing many different drinking games from all the different countries as we had Australians, Dutch, Danish, italians  and british, some worked better then others due to the language barrier. But when the lights were on it was really bad because there were sooo many bugs and mosquitoes flying to it, so we had to turn it off and just use candles. 

It was so nice to wake up on my birthday to the splashes of people jumping into the river off the boat, I quickly joined them. It was pretty murky water and there were quite a lot of lily pads but it was still really good. You just felt like you needed about 3 showers after to get all the grime off. We spent the rest of the day we just chilled out and lazing about much like the previous afternoon. 
For my birthday dinner the other volunteers had bought me a cake which was really nice of them and they sang the funny versions of happy birthday which Indians have, all with exactly the same tune: "happy long
life to you!" and "may god bless you yet!". They also did the customery thing of splattering the cake all over

your face so I was covered in icing. Someone had bought some fire crackers as well and we found a space off the boat to light them. I got a really good video on my new camera. After that we played more games and had a general party. 
Next morning was a little bit hungover and the only bad bit was the 4 hour bus journey with lots of Indians bumping into you. But we did the rest of it by train and I prefer the trains where you have your own bed so much more.
We are having a quiet week this week because the schools are having exams. I have had to do a little invigilating which is a bit funny as I was sitting school exams only last summer but still really boring.
I might see if I can do some care work at the local pre school as well soon. 
Thank you all for my birthday wishes, I would have loved to have been able to get back and celebrated it with everyone. Lots of love Joe xx
Lots of Love
Joe x

Advertisement



10th February 2010

Hey Joe Sorry I missed your birthday, hope you had a good one, which it sounds like you did. Yes it must be weird vigilating when in theory you only just sat yours. Joe, where and how much did you get your Malarone tablets? We're trying to get Kirstie's sorted for Keyna. Keep on having the time of your life honey. We miss you. love Julie x

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0419s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb