Bangalore


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Karnataka » Bangalore
October 26th 2007
Published: October 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well I have now been in Bangalore for two weeks and it has been pretty good so far, have just got into the work side, which has finally started up and I am heading up the youth work, which involves writing a football coaching manual!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Which so far has gone ok but have just been writing a foreward on the history of football, and have been trying to find info on the internet, whilst also emailing football clubs in the UK. I am also going to be helping out writing a screen and fabric printing manual which thankfully Chrisanna came down from Mumbai the other day, and she will be working at the Jacobs Well project and has done lots of screen printing and has some info on it so that will be really helpful. I also will be writing some proposals for funding and things, which I quite like doing so hopefully will be put to good use here!!!!

Well today we did our second community project work, giving a lesson on life skills which this month is dental hygiene which was quite fun, including a game and drama which they all enjoyed and then the Doctor gave a
Our FlatOur FlatOur Flat

The Bedroom
15min talk. Interestingly Indians brush their teeth before they eat rather then afterwards! We also had to presuade them to use a toothbrush rather then some sort of stick! It does make you feel very blessed growing up with this standard knowledge as we were performing this to people over 30 who didn't really have a clue!

We are quite enjoying Bangalore at the moment as some areas of MG road, you could be convinced that your in the UK, on the poverty side it is no where near as bad as Mumbai, and there are not many beggars, but we are becoming more used to seeing cows wandering down the roads.

Our flat, well to start we were quite impressed with it however ever since we have seen pictures of the Chennai flat we are quite jealous, but we do get the better city in our opinion. We are having a slight cockroach infestation, but we are learning to love "HIT" which is our cockroach spray which we spray over the drains before we go to sleep, then in the morning we go into the living area and see loads of paralysed cockroachs over the floor, it
Amazing SofaAmazing SofaAmazing Sofa

Me and Becky with Sumi, and our next door neighbours
is rather satisfying!!!!!!! we are planning a cockroach genocide this weekend, so you might get another update on how that goes!!!

Churches
We are presently looking at a church to settle into, the first weekend here we went to Majella's church, who is our coordinator here. Well it was VERY pentecostal,and we were sent down to Sunday School as that was the only part which was in English as the rest of the service was in Tamill apart from one very out of tune song, which was rather dire, yet it was nice to be amongst a fellowship which we had not been in the past 2 weeks. Down in Sunday school, we were asked to teach some songs, which was fine then asked to tell a Bible story at which point we were sort of stuck so got the kids to act out Noah's ark and then David and Goliath, then we were split up and told to lead the rest of the Sunday School, AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In the end it went ok, the little kids have a really impressive span of biblical knowledge which will put many adults to shame.
Maj's church is not one we will regularly
Living room/dining roomLiving room/dining roomLiving room/dining room

we bought the pink fabrics to decorate as before was bare mattress' and our lovely plastic table and chairs! Love love
go to due to the language barrier but we are planning to help out with their Christmas preps.
The next week we attended Bangalore International Church, held in the Gateway hotel. This was really refreshing to be amongst Western people, all speaking English and decent worship and a really powerful talk on the crucifixion from which we learnt a lot. We also met some girls our own age who are here teaching in a school, and after church we went out to lunch with them and Penny a physio who is working with Oasis and another charity, she's from the UK too but will be out here for 2 years. This weekend we are going to go along to All People's Church, so prayer for that would be good, and that we can find a church which suits the 2 of us.
well must go masala dosa is calling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.217s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.1162s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb