Kashmir Arts and Crafts - Handicrafts of Kashmir


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Jammu & Kashmir
July 31st 2014
Published: July 31st 2014
Edit Blog Post

Kashmir is famous all over the world as a “Paradise on Earth”, for its enticing beauty, charm and grandeur, Kashmir is also famous for the exquisite beauty of the “Art and Crafts” evolved by the tender fingers of beautiful people, who have created a name in this field. The beautiful handicrafts of Kashmir are:

1 - Shawls:
The origin of shawl, the real gift from Kashmir, dates back to ancient civilization. The shawl is one of the most distinguished handmade woolen fabric, which excels in artistic craftsmanship. The available range from Neemdoor, Doordar, Paladaar, Baildaar, Jaalis and Jammas. The woolen fabric is of two types – Pashmina and Raffal. “Pashmina” known as “Cashmere Wool” is a product from special goat (Capra Hircus) living at an altitude of 12000 – 14000 feet, in an area near “Pangong Lake ” in Ladakh in close vicinity of western Tibet “Raffal” is spun out of merino wool tops. Shawls are produced by two techniques, loom woven or ‘kani shawl’ and the needle embroidered or ‘sozni shawl’.

About kashmiri shawls it is said: “of all Indian textiles none excels in beauty, color, texture and design – the famous Kashmiri shawl.”

2 - Carpets:
The carpet in Kashmir has been the gift of caravans, who brought it from Persia (Iran). A Kashmiri carpet is a multipurpose object. It is an object of decoration, yet be under the feet of people, to provide warmth and to protect from dampness. The carpets are made in silk and wool, most of them are woven on the cotton wrap. The raw material include, cotton, wool, silk yarn dyed in the desired shade through an exclusively traditional process.

The carpet designs calls for very special skill. The carpets are designed by a unique technique called to be piled in a square inch as also the color designs named after Iranian cities like Kashan, Kirman, Ardabil, Meshad, Qum, Faraghan, Hamdan, Bokhara, Tabraz, Isfaan etc. in traditional size of 2’x3’;21/2’x4’;3’x5’;4’x6’;41/2’x7’;5’x8’;6’x9’;7’x10’;8’x10’;9’x12’.

Kashmiri carpet is a craze; a connoisseur’s delight a cherished acquisition and above all an intimate possession.

3 – Paper Machie:
Paper machie is a unique combnation of paper and painting. Paper machie, is French in origin propounded as “papya masha” meaning moulded pulp, which is most important ingredient needed for the manufacture of paper machie objects. Kashmir has a monopoly in paper machie handicraft. The paper machie presents a fascinating blend of art and function. The paper machie which is known as “Kar-i-Kalamdani”, as the best specimen of the old work were the pen boxes.

Objects of nature, mythological figures, animals, court scenes, hunting and battle scenes, are important designs and motifs of paper machie. The product range covers rings, boxes, pill boxes, flower vases, wall plaques, bowls, ashtrays and screens. Paper machie is believed to have been introduced by Sultan Zain-ul-Abideen in 15th century A.D.

4 - Wood Carving
The Kashmir wood craft and wood carving depends upon the use of walnut wood as a raw material. The walnut trees grow at an altitude of 5500 – 7500 feet above the sea level. Due to its durability, hardness and natural colour, the walnut wood is regarded as most suitable for carving and wood work. The carving is done skillfully in a variety like “Padri” – where it is not deep, see through, undercut and deep carving with indigenous tools. Both decorative and utilitarian articles ranging from items like bowls, trays, cigarette boxes, wall panels, table lamps, screens, bedsteads, wine bars and writing desks are crafted to meet contemporary demands. The traditional designs are Lotus, Dragon, Darbar, Rezkar and Poshkaar.

Khatambund – is the speciality f the Kashmir wood work. It is a beautiful ceiling of perfect design, made by a few carpenters who with more marvelous skill join together thin pieces of pine wood. The Naqashband Shrine at Srinagar, is a sample design of Khatambund ceiling. The house boats of Dal Lake are nicely decorated with Khatambund type ceilings.

The Muslim Sultanate period of 14th century is credited to have introduced the wood work in Kashmir.

Advertisement



10th March 2015

Amazing items..
I loved the crafts work from kashmir its just so awesome is all the wooden items are make from devdar trees Or there is different wood for different item.

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb