I P Freely!


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Himachal Pradesh » Shimla
September 22nd 2007
Published: September 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Rishikesh - Chandigarh - Kolka - Shimla.



From Rishikesh we took a 7 hour bus journey to Chandighar which to start off seemed lovely (not very full) but then a couple of stops on we were rammed and quite uncomfortably sharing three seats with us (obviously) our two backpacks and a lady and her two children - but it was cheap so hey! Spent a night in Chandighar bus station (in the transit lodge above- don't worry mum) and then overslept to 4:30am yes 4:30am to get the 5:00am bus to Kalka to catch the 6.30am train to Shimla. Well that's what we thought anyway - we arrived at the station at 6:27am and jumped on the 'toy train' (a narrow gauge train) without a ticket as thought we wouldn't have time. We were then enlightened that it wouldn't leave until 8:30 so we had plenty of time to get a ticket, water and breakfast (Information in Guide books we have found out are subject to change). We thought we pretty much had the carriage to ourselves until we were descended by a bus load of people filling up in record time!

This actually turned out to be really good as the people on the train we found out were on their way to some international conference in Shimla and some spoke really good English and we had very interesting conversations with them, had our palms read and learnt some Indian history. A doctor called Prem also invited us to stay at his farm in Rajasthan, not sure if we will take him up on his offer yet. We did have our pictures taken with them and promised to send them on. The train journey was slow but the views of the Himalayas amazing, you would not believe where a 'house' can be built. Just a bit of history for you - Shimla was created by the British as a 'summer retreat' away from the heat (but in fact they spent 7 months of the year here).

To explain the title - it seems it is normal to 'relieve' yourself just about anywhere, and I mean anywhere! We even saw one rather skilled gentleman talking on his mobile phone while partaking in this pastime! And let's not even mention the spitting!

It is very cool here in Shimla, we are wearing trousers and long sleeve shirts for the first time during the day and it is so pleasant not to be in a continual state of sweating! We were even a little cold in bed last night!

We plan to make just one more move North (as don't want to get too cold now) to Dharamsala where the Dalai Lama resides (and we have been informed he is currently in town). This will involve a ten hour bus journey but should be more pleasant than previous ones as less busy (hopefully) but certainly not as hot!

While heading back to the hotel for a quiet night due to our early departure we stopped to take a picture of a Sikh mosque - big mistake! A young Sikh happened to be passing by at that very moment who invited us in for what we thought would be a quick tour. In fact the service was just about to begin which we later found out lasted for in excess of 4 hours - which entailed chanting, music (loud), reading of scriptures in the most monatone voice possible and eating. We managed to compromise a get out clause after 2 hours but not before swapping email addresses. It was a very interesting experience and one we were glad to witness but we did have a bit of a headache when we left (and little idea of what it all meant). We have a new friend though!







Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



22nd September 2007

Whistle in the Wind.
Hi, Very glad to hear you are enjoying yourselves, and in good health. I remember my son stating that the inhabitants just do it anywhere! Don't think I could cope with that. This must be an Indian thing, as I have been asked to do a 'P in the Park' by our village newsagent owners who are of Indian origin, it was meant to be a 'Picnic in the Park'. Don't forget if you follow suit just give a little whistle or hum. You didn't say what your palm reading divulged. Lots of fun and adventure I hope. Went to see our Tim @ Wimbledon on Friday in the Davis Cup against Crotia, fantastic. Today he played with Jamie Murray and clitched our entry to the top 16 countries. Wot a way to go. Fill you in on the Intercompany football next week. Take care. Love Sue
26th September 2007

Hey guys, seems like things are going quite smoothly. sounds amazing!! look forward to the next adventures!

Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0589s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb