Mcleod Ganj, India: First Impressions


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Himachal Pradesh » Mcleod Ganj
November 15th 2009
Published: November 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Currently in Mcleod Ganj, in India. It's a former British Hill Station and currently the home of both the Dalai Lama and also the Tibetan Government in exile. This, the people, and the surrounding physical environment, makes Mcleod Ganj a truly beautiful place to be. China invaded and occupied Tibet in 1959 - while the rest of the world looked on - marking the beginning of a cultural genocide that continues to this day. Thankfully, the Indian Government offered a refuge for the Tibetan refugees including their spiritual leader and Head of State, the Dalai Lama. This refuge is the town of Dharamsala and also nearby Mcleod Ganj, providing a space in which refugees can attempt to rebuild their lives and, along with the Government in exile, work towards a resolution with China that will end the oppression of the Tibetan people.

The population is a mix of Tibetans, Indians and Westerners, the latter divided roughly into three groups: backpackers passing through, volunteers and activists pausing a while to lend a hand and learn, and those seeking the path to spiritual enlightenment. This is definitely the place to be for all three, as there is much of interest. For most (including us), I think it is a hard place to leave.

For the backpacker, there’s cheap living on offer, as well as a chilled out place with gorgeous scenery, friendly people and loads of handicrafts to pick up as mementos. They can also pick up with the serious volunteers and activists, and engage in some really positive and genuine experiences with Tibetan people and culture, taking with them a whole heap more knowledge, information and hopefully a call to action.

Politically, there is much to learn and do here, with various events occurring daily (e.g. film screenings, discussions, talks, etc) that can help to develop awareness, increase and share knowledge, and provide a means for turning thoughts and passion into action. Due to the political situation, there are many opportunities to lend a hand in a variety of ways both short and long term, all very much appreciated. General education of the Tibetan refugees, as well as English lessons in particular, is a strong focus. Many are giving their time for several weeks, months or years for this purpose. Additionally, it’s possible to help out for even a single day, for example by attending the daily free conversation classes that provide Tibetans with valuable and meaningful opportunities to practice their English skills. There’s also work to be done in helping newly arrived refugees settle in and get on their feet, providing skills and/or resources to the various medical clinics and/or hospital, as well as to the Tibetan Children’s Village... the list goes on! As you would expect for a community of refugees and a government in exile from its own country, there is much political activity here.

There is also much on offer for those who seek ‘spiritual enlightenment’ and who believe that this can be achieved through the practice of Tibetan Buddhism. There are teachings galore (including teachings delivered by the Dalai Lama when he’s at home), as well as courses and retreats, temples, and a concentration of like-minded people.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.321s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0828s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb