A Time for Tibet


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Himachal Pradesh » Mcleod Ganj
June 8th 2008
Published: June 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

It's some time now since we visited Tibet but the memories stay with me of the peaceful, friendly, smiling Tibetan pople, their devout Buddhism enshrined in the many temples and monasteries and the beautiful landscapes of their country on the roof of the world. We have since encountered Tibetan peoples in exile at Boudhanath near Kathmandu in Nepal and in Dharamsala/ McLeod Ganj, the seat of the Tibetan Government in exile in India. Even in exile the peaceful approach to all is hugely obvious and inspiring.

The Tibetan people stand at an important crossroads as two historic moments approach - the Beijing 2008 olympics in China and the 50th commemoration of the March 1959 uprising against China's occupation of Tibet. We witnessed a microcosmic example of the Chinese attitude towards the Tibetan people as described by Bob in 'Tibetan Roads Less Travelled' and since we left the snowlands there has been an outbreak of further violence and oppression by the Chinese. Now as the eyes of the world are on China with the approaching olympics, its a time for Tibet to use this historic moment to re-invigorate the Tibetan freedom movement, take control of its political destiny and enage in direct action to end China's illegal and brutal occupation of this peaceful land.

I would like to present some very simple facts that I have come to understand about the history of the Chinese occupation of Tibet and also to highlight a number of organisations you can contact to support the fight for freedom if you feel moved to do so...

• Until May 1949 Tibet was an autonomous kingdom, ruled by the spiritual dynasty of the Dalai Lama; that was until the Chinse People's Liberation Army marched into the capital of Lhasa and forced their control on the country.

• March 1959 saw the uprising of the Tibetan people against the Chinese occupation; they were no match for the Chinese army and this resulted in His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama and tens of thousands of Tibetans fleeing their country to escape the violence of Chinese troups.

• More than 1.2 million Tibetans have died as a result of Chinese occuption; 90%!o(MISSING)f Tibet's cultural heritage had been destroyed, including 6000 monasteries representing thousands of years of Tibetan culture.

• The rate of Chinese population transfer into Tibet means that Tibetans are becoming a minority in their own country and are struggling to hold on to what remains of their unique culture as is is gradually wiped out by Chinese development

• The prolific building, illegal mining, deforestation and dumping of nuclear and toxic wastes in Tibet is irreparably damaging what was once a pristine, fragile and unique environment

• The principals of the IOC (International Olympic Committe) are laid down as follows -
Respect for universal ethical principles to contribute to building a peaceful world through sport; encouraging a peaceful society with the preservation of human dignity

One can see why many Tibetans and their supporters think that China should be banned from hosting the olympics at all! Beijing 2008 has been dubbed a Celebration of Human Rights Violations by the Tibetan Centre for Human Rights and Democracy. The beautiful and unique culture of Tibet has been subjected to over 49 years of unimaginable atrocities, over 49 years of imprisionment, torture and murder, over 49 years of gross human rights abuses and over 49 years of cultural genocide.

The following websites link to organisations who are trying to raise awareness and gather support for the Tibetan Freedom movment - food for thought and a chance to add to the growing collective if you wish -

The International Campaign for Tibet website has links to petitions you can sign as well as other action you can take...


Join Avaaz, the world in action on many global issues and send an email to your head of state about the Tibetan plight...


Become a virtual member of Team Tibet... they support a group of atheletes who applied to take part in the Beijing Olympics but were basically ignored by the IOC- they withdrew their application after the violent outbreaks in March but a mini olympics was held in McLeod Ganj in May


See pictures, reports and video footage from inside Tibet...









Advertisement



Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0961s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb