The Influence of Religion in India


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Himachal Pradesh » Mcleod Ganj
June 10th 2007
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Tibetan Mantra WheelTibetan Mantra WheelTibetan Mantra Wheel

Unfortunately i cant remember the correct name for these. SOwwweee!!!!
With only a week to go and so many more beautiful places remain to see in India, i simply had to extend my trip a further 5 days for me to be able to squeeze all these beautiful Holy Places that i must see before i leave.

Dharamsala- The home of the Dalai Lama (unfortunately i did not have the good fortune to meet him in person)and the Tibetan Government in Exile.

This is a beautiful laidback Tibetan settlement which i must say was not only filled with Tibetans, where we'd stayed in Dharamkot was full of isreali's, ive never seen so many in one places (was like little israel ).
Although Dharamsala was also full of other Foreign Tourist i actually enjoyed myself there.
i'd enjoyed browsing the stores admiring the beautiful hand painted Thangkas and watching the Tibetan Monks debating and praying at Namgyal Monastery where Anke and myself stay a night. We also meet a lovely friendly Monk Gelek which i'd loved talking to, was trying to understand more about the life of the young Monks. "it was hard and is still hard" he told me

Dharamkot was quite a hippy place full of Meditation
Monks Debating at Namgyal MonasteryMonks Debating at Namgyal MonasteryMonks Debating at Namgyal Monastery

As i was heading toward the main hall all i could hear was the load sound of chattering, laughter and the sound of smacking, it was really noisy which was strange as i always remebered Temple being a place of silence and tranquility.
and yoga courses i suppose if i had more time i would have definitely joined one just to see what it was like..HIPPY CHUNGIE!!!!...hehehe

On a more serious note i got to understand a little more about Tibet and suffering and hardship they are trying to free themselves from the chinese.







Amritsar- The beautiful Golden Temple Absolutely stunning!!!

On our journey here we meet a couple from the US who had been in India the last 4 months as white water rafting instructors... we all decided to stay at the temple there was free accommodation there (donation appreciated but not asked).

Must admit wasn't expecting to much...but after a long day travelling in the heat on a bus all i wanted was a nice shower and some food. didn't expect to have to share my shower with other women and kids running around you. Must admit wasn't the most private and relaxing shower i was hoping for but it had to be done.

i was so glad we was there at the temple at night, it was lit beautifully and i was amazed at the amount of sikhs that was there, sleeping on the floor, praying, waiting to see the ceremony, it a very warm experience.







Varanasi- The Holy Ganges and Sanarth the sacred place where Buddha gave his first sermon after gaining enlightement

This was a little out the way but i had to see it for myself... and it was worth seeing.
The preparations and burning of the dead, bathing in the ganges, fishing, boat racing, so much happening and seeing but my highlight was seeing the Hindu ceremony at dawn unfortunately cant remember what it is called.








Agra- Taj Mahal & Agra Fort.

After finally getting through to my Airline,, i found out that my flight had not been confirmed for the 21st as i thought, my travel agent had only reserved it and it was for the 20th and being only one day away and im at less 12 hours away and still not seen the Taj Mahal but luckily i had already booked my train ticket that night to go to Agra, is it was only 3/4 hours away from Delhi so as long as i have a whole day there if worse come to worse i could catch a taxi straight to the airport.

So i phoned in the morning again to try if there was any cancelation...no luck!!..was asked to phone again at 3/4 in the afternoon...wasnt feelin to confident but there was nothing i could do and if it wasnt possible then i would have decided to book a trip to Nepal.








Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Golden Temple by NightGolden Temple by Night
Golden Temple by Night

Stunning Huh?!!!!...
Anke & MeAnke & Me
Anke & Me

After fghting our way through to the main Temple. Was worth it :)
Sri Lankan Monk i meet in SanarthSri Lankan Monk i meet in Sanarth
Sri Lankan Monk i meet in Sanarth

Offered me lunched and showed me the sights of Sanarth. Also asked me a questioned which i thought was very un appropriate for a monk...but you see and hear everything in INDIA.
The Taj MahalThe Taj Mahal
The Taj Mahal

WOW!!!!!...


27th June 2007

HELLO FROM INDIA
HELLO FRIEND HOW R U I REALL APPREACIUTE UR MCLEODGANJ PHOTOS N BLOG FM DHARMSALAL NOW WHERE R U U R IN DHARMSALA OR SOME WHERE ELSE AJAY radheykrishna.ak@gmail.com
28th June 2007

Hello Friend :)
Thank you for your comment im glad you'd enjoyed the photos...im now in China hopefully catching some more beautiful views so feel free to log on and follow my Journey :)

Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0768s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb