Tashijong.....and a dead guy preserved in salt...(no jokes)


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Himachal Pradesh » Mcleod Ganj
May 1st 2007
Published: May 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

There was a beautiful scarlet dragonfly in front of me before i started writing this - perched on a flower - it was so unlike anything we have in England. Its just one of the many little things that make me so so happy to be here right now - alive - 19 - on a gap year - in India - staying in a remote buddhist monastery chatting and eating with the monks and getting such a priviledged view into their way of life.

There is an abundance of wildlife here which flourishes due to the peaceful ethos of this monastery dominated village. It is set amid hills with a strong tibetan community. As I write (in my journal before) the sun is beating down and i can hear monks chanting softly and Bhaarat quietly discussing buddhism with a senior monk a few feet away from me and Andy is down the hill chatting with some yoiung monks on the way back from class. I can see at least 30 prayer wheels all of which are enscribed with the central buddhist mantra. I've also learnt that hello is "Tashi Delek" ius tibetan - said: tashi delay. There is such a relaxed peaceful atmosphere here and i felt at home almost immeadiately.

Last night there was a power cut and therefore no fan and it was so hot i couldn't get to sleep till 4! THis morning we went for breakfast down the hill - mazza (mango juice) and 2 rs samosas - gorgeous! Ma you would probably have a heart attack if you saw where i was eating but A and B have ate there all the time and haven't gotten sick so i feel safe.
Yesterday i accompanied Bhaarat to one of his tutorials and sdaw a rimpoche that they did not create and is instead sitting - dead in the living room of another rimpoche preserved in salt till they can think of a better way to preserve him... - seriously creepy...

The bells just rung for the carpet factory below to signify lunch break (banging a rod again a lumpo of corrugated iron) which means we should get some lunch too - yummy hot 3 rs paranthas are calling me so i must go! xxxxx

(sorry this is late guys - only 2weeks and a day till i go home - going to nepal today see everyone soon!!!!) take care xxxxx

Advertisement



10th May 2007

off to nepal
Great to read about the monastery,was there seriously a dead man preserved in salt? Is that what they do with the dead?I struggle dto imagine that.I have learnt so much both being in India and through you.Hope you managed to get to Nepal,be safe and don't do anything too reckless I'd like you home in one piece!Only another 12 days left of your adventure make the most of it and you will remember it forever.Lv mxx

Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0224s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb