Recharging in Manali


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Himachal Pradesh » Manali
August 13th 2008
Published: September 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

All smilesAll smilesAll smiles

Family from one of the outlying villages. Daughter (aged 6) had been helping mum cut grass for the family cow. I couldn't imagine many of my six year old students slashing grass with a knife and then carrying the load for a kilometre down the road!
After lots of one night stop-over’s, a bit of time to recharge the batteries was just what we needed. After the scenic drive from Shimla to Manali, we found ourselves in the very chilled out, attractive and quiet ‘Johnson’s Hotel’

Manali was really touristy but has plenty of places to escape. With a bit of imagination, it could be Queenstown in New Zealand with all the adventure activities on offer. (Well Queenstown without the lake… and quite a bit more rubbish… and monkeys… and yak riding… and snake charmers… oh and stray dogs of course…)

Anyway. Manali gave us a chance to chill out a bit and enjoy some really good food and even cocktails!

We arranged a guide to take us trekking for the day which turned out to be one of the highlights of our stay. We trekked for the whole day and got to visit one of the sweetest villages yet. The scenery was lovely and included apple orchards, deodar forests, rice paddies, corn fields and river beds. The villages were so well kept and it was so refreshing to have the chance to see how people live without feeling like a ‘tourist trap’

This trek included a stunning waterfall which turned out to be a bit of a popular spot for visiting backpackers who want to smoke pot. Little did I know, I thought the tent just sold apple juice! In fact, Manali seems to be the place to come if you want to get stoned, listen to ‘artistic’ music and engage in the really deep conversations of the ‘enlightened’. Hmmm … bliss for some but definitely not our scene!

On our second day trek, we drove out into the Kullu Valley and completed a long uphill trek through the orchards. While the scenery wasn’t as nice, we were invited into a village house for lunch which made some everlasting memories.

After five days of relaxing and recharging we set out on the ‘Drive of a lifetime’ the famous Manali to Leh road.




Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

The Waterfall The Waterfall
The Waterfall

Not everyone comes here to look at the view!
Little ManLittle Man
Little Man

This little guy was learning how to help mum cut the grass for the house cow.
All in a days workAll in a days work
All in a days work

This lady, in her 60's, everyday walks up a hill that had us gasping. She watches over her three cows and makes sure they don't stray onto anyone else's pasture. No wonder she was so serene... all that walking and time to contemplate life!
WeavingWeaving
Weaving

We got asked into a traditional house in one of the high villages. They make their blankets and bedding in the old way. I've never been force fed so much dal in my life!


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0295s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb