Gujarat Road Trip part 6: Before the sea becomes empty: Full fishing - Somnath


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Gujarat » Porbandar
February 15th 2014
Published: February 15th 2014
Edit Blog Post

January 7th2014



We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl year after year

Running over the same old ground, and what have we found

The same old fears.......”

Pink Floyd, Wish You Were Here



Somnath is the site of one of the 12 very special JyotirLinga (Shiva) temples spread across India (and one in Kathmandu, Nepal). It is therefore a huge yatra (pilgrimage) site for Hindus. Somnath means “The Protector of the moon god” and the temple is known as “the Shrine Eternal”. It was destroyed about 10 times by mainly Muslim regimes only to rise again and again. The latest reincarnation began in 1947. While the date of the original temple is unsure, it was destroyed and rebuilt in the 7th Century.

It is on the Arabian Sea coastline of Gujarat and boasts a gorgeous beach (totally great for morning yoga and a serious sea swim) strewn with alluring shells and stones. Our morning schedule soon evolves – walk up the beach for sunrise, yoga, swim, searching for shells and stones, wandering back, taking a coconut water from a beach stall, and eventually back to base to rest up and think about a little adventure out on Gladys (the wonder bike) for the afternoon.

Just next to Somnath is the city of Vereval, with a totally gobsmackingly full-on/ intense fishing fleet. What does strike one is the amount of fishing that goes on – thousands of trawlers just from this one place. One fears for the sustainability of the sea if this is just one example of the plunder.

We take lazy afternoon rides, with Gladys purring, into the surrounding countryside. One trip is up a gorgeous river (not so swimmable but good for a dip) and end up in a coconut grove invited to partake of fresh coconut water by a local family. Another day we ride inland along winding smooth roads amidst green ordered farmland and get invited for chai at a farmhouse.




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



15th February 2014

More enviable adventure!!!
Breathtaking - great shots luvy.......so glad you are having such a fabulous time. More hugs, Marguerite
15th February 2014

Step Wells
Hey Paul! Nice to know you are enjoying the Gujarat journey.While you are there,please check if you can visit the famous step wells (there are at least 2 that I know of).The intricate architecture is fascinating and makes the visit totally worth it.Hope you will get a chance to visit them. Best Regards Pd. P.S - Enjoying the quotes in the beginning of your blogs.Keep em' coming! :)
17th February 2014

Magic
Beautiful photos of what appears to be a near magical place
7th April 2019

Taxi services in India
Nice blog. You use a very beautiful images. Thanks for sharing this blog.

Tot: 0.245s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 89; dbt: 0.125s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb