India - Week One Highlights


Advertisement
Asia » India » Gujarat » Ahmedabad
March 15th 2011
Published: March 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The Taxi Ride from the Airport to the Hotel My flight landed at 2:30am, so I figured I'd have relatively smooth sailing through traffic for the taxi ride to downtown from the airport. I just didn't realize how smooth. Of the twelve red traffic lights we hit on the way into town, we stopped for precisely NONE of them. I don't think we even slowed down for any of them. In fact, the only time we ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 99, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

India Week One (164)India Week One (164)
India Week One (164)

These guys gave me two popcicles
India Week One (166)India Week One (166)
India Week One (166)

This guy got engaged the day before and is getting married next month. All of his friends were giddy to tell me that it is a "love marriage"
India Week One (177)India Week One (177)
India Week One (177)

Notice the guy sneaking in to take a picture with his cell phone
India Week One (182)India Week One (182)
India Week One (182)

Some kids who cried out for a picture across a big road.
India Week One (183)India Week One (183)
India Week One (183)

Rickshaw's in action



15th March 2011
India Week One (148)

Name your sweets
I think I see some barfi...maybe rasgulla? No chikki, jalebi, or kheer?
16th March 2011

Dude, how much research did you have to do to come up with those names? I just walk in and point. I suppose I should ask, but the names would get mixed up with the other Hindi words I am trying to learn. You would definitely love this country, though. The food is amazing, and so diverse. So you're happy that I'm including some more food pics?
17th March 2011

No food poisoning yet?:)
Seriously? My sister was in the country about a day when she got hit with it. The food choices look a lot more varied than I would have thought. The pics of the palace carved out of stone were amazing. How was the trip home as far as getting slapped with Western culture for two weeks then heading back into the grind? Was it strange or oddly normal? Also, why do you think the people want you to take a picture of them? Ot is it just the novelty? One last thing - Brian retired last week! Brad and I are "bossless". He got an offer he couldn't refuse and it had to take effect before the end of the fiscal year so there you go!
18th March 2011

I just read your blog and enjoyed it all over again. I realized that I forgot to add a comment the first time through. It's as wonderful as ever and I get such pleasure reading them! I looked through the pictures trying to find someone else wearing your hat and found the guy in the market. My favorite picture still is the goat in the motorcycle!
19th March 2011

Ha ha, you and Kris have such similar tastes. She said the goat on the motorcyle was by far her favorite too :)
20th March 2011

Hey Kate - So far so good. I love my steel-lined stomach :) And, as for Indian cuisine, I really think it must be some of the most varied in the world. Definitely the most varied I've had so far on the trip. As for home, it was definitely a bit odd. It was nice to have the relaxing break (not too relaxing with all of the running around), but it did throw me off for a day or two when I got to India. I'm back in the travel swing now. As for photos, people just want them for the novelty of seeing themselves. They always thank me when I show them the photo.

Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.059s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb